Hello from Toronto Canada

Started by BillT, November 18, 2013, 02:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Hi folks - and no I am not "Mayor Ford" of Toronto who is getting a lot of bad press that he fully deserves.  I live 45 minutes west of Toronto near the small city of Guelph, Ontario.  I found this forum about 6 weeks ago and must say it is an absolute gold mine of information.  I had purchased some old Penn reels from ebay over the last year because of my long time affinity for fishing and my fascination with saltwater reels.  Yes, I know, there is no saltwater near Toronto, but in my past I had grandparents who had retired to Daytona many years go (1960's) and although they are long gone, I still love Florida and fishing including surf fishing.

I was fortunate too have been at St. George's Island, up in the panhandle two years ago and had some fun catching fish, and last year on a business trip to West Palm Beach I also spent some off hours surf fishing and caught blue runners, ladyfish and whiting.

In any case because of the tutorials I have been successful in taking apart some of the old Penn's - 99's, 109's, 160's, and 180's and cleaning them up and now my wife is even letting me display them in our family room. I also used the info on this site to repair a couple of Penn 650SS spinners that I had purchased used.  I now know all about Scott's, Penn Parts, Corrosion X and Yamaha Marine Grease.

Just wanted to say hi from Canada and thanks to all of you for your contributions to Alan's site.  I am enjoying a new dimension to my fishing hobby and I am afraid I am now hooked !

Bill

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Welcome! It's a disease. You will soon be bankrupt and homeless but have many nice reels.  ;)  ;D
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bryan Young

Aloha Bill.  I loved visiting Toronto area, and would love to bring my family to that area.  Very nice people and great food.

Also drove to the falls and got to go fishing there too, but no fish caught.

Welcome.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

BMITCH

Welcome, I see Alan T. Hooked another one :D you'll have fun spending money here  ;)
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

BillT

Thanks guys, I appreciate the hearty welcome.  I loved the comments re being bankrupt and homeless but with nice reels, sounds very true and close to home.  I can see how this disease can get to you like an obsessive compulsive disorder.

And Bryan I hope you get back to Toronto some day.  But just so you don't feel bad it is about 30 F today and I had to clean some snow off the vehicles this morning.  Pretty soon will need a chainsaw to make a hole in the ice big enough to launch the boat (just kidding, we don't actually do that).

Yes Alan's site has me hooked.  Tremendous information, tutorials and camaraderie.  But I have already been able to fix several reels that I thought might have to go to the boneyard.  So all is good !!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!