Penn 49

Started by hrogers, January 05, 2016, 11:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrogers

I'm a bit confused - How many Penn 49 Reels are there on the market ?
I've got one with a narrow spool and the other one is wider - I know the Penn 49A is the one we got in South Africa but is not sure what the dimensions are for that reel. There is no A on the wider Penn reel
Here is the photo's of the 2 reels

alantani

somebody should know this, but i don't.  you can check with mysticparts.com to see what they have listed.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sdlehr

There are two models, 49 and 49A, which is the wider of the two, only released in S Africa. See https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Antiques/Penn49Wide.aspx for more info. The line capacity must be amazing on the wide version. Interesting history here.....

Sid
SE FL

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

Only a few were marked 49A, and most those went south out of the USA for retail sale.

The only difference between a wide 49 and the standard 49 is the spool, seat, and posts. Penn factory did sell some in the states, but those were all labeled as 49 on the headplate.

Aiala recently scored a boxed 49A that was likely sold in the USA. The box clearly says 49A, but the headplate is marked 49. I'm sure she will be glad to show us her amazing find.  :o :o
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Aiala

Quote from: Max Doubt on January 05, 2016, 06:13:03 PM
Aiala recently scored a boxed 49A that was likely sold in the USA. The box clearly says 49A, but the headplate is marked 49. I'm sure she will be glad to show us her amazing find.  :o :o

Glad, indeed! Here:

The only reason I was lucky enough to get it was because the clueless eBay seller neglected to mention the 'A' in his listing, and --incredibly-- no one else noticed or even bid.   ;)   :D   ;D

~A~

P.S. Ted, maybe it was sold in the U.S., but for whatever it's worth, the little orange price label is actually listed in South African currency.   ???
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

theswimmer

How about a nos 49m in the box? Late 60s early 70s?
I'll post a pick when I get home.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

hrogers

Thanks for the feedback - Aiala can you please measure the width of the for for me ?
I want to compare the measurements. The one I've got is prox 83 mm
Thanks
Regards
Henry

Aiala

Quote from: hrogers on January 05, 2016, 09:19:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback - Aiala, can you please measure the width of the reel for me ?
I want to compare the measurements. The one I've got is prox 83 mm. Thanks! Regards, Henry

Henry, by all means! Unfortunately my electronic calipers have turned invisible so I had to measure the reel with my aging eyes and an obsolete tape measure:

Approximate Width (from outer edges of beauty rings): 3.5 inches (88.9 mm)

Approximate Length of Posts: 2.5 inches (63.5 mm)

Hope that helps, and glad to oblige!   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

hrogers

Thanks Aiala !! - Its about the same diameter, I also used an ruler - all I've got to take the measurement.
I don't have any fancy measure equipment.
Thanks again !
I bought that Penn reel in a pawnshop that was about R250
In Dollars it would  $16.6

Have a nice day !!
Henry

Maxed Out

Quote from: Aiala on January 05, 2016, 09:48:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback - Aiala, can you please measure the width of the reel for me ?
I want to compare the measurements. The one I've got is prox 83 mm. Thanks! Regards, Henry

Henry, by all means! Unfortunately my electronic calipers have turned invisible so I had to measure the reel with my aging eyes and an obsolete tape measure:

Hope that helps, and glad to oblige!   :)

~A~

Yep, the seat and frame posts on 49A are same seat and post as a jigmaster 500

Aiala, that's pretty neat your box has the south African currency price tag on it.  :o :o
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Max Doubt on January 05, 2016, 11:57:08 PM
Quote from: Aiala on January 05, 2016, 09:48:00 PM

Hope that helps, and glad to oblige!   :)

~A~

Yep, the seat and frame posts on 49A are same seat and post as a jigmaster 500

Aiala, that's pretty neat your box has the south African currency price tag on it.  :o :o

X2
:)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

theswimmer

49m
nos
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

More

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

I know this is kind of like the Holy Grail but all I did was open the box.
I have not even rubbed a rag across this reel.

Errol Flynn

Cor

Quote from: sdlehr on January 05, 2016, 06:12:24 PM
There are two models, 49 and 49A, which is the wider of the two, only released in S Africa. See https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Antiques/Penn49Wide.aspx for more info. The line capacity must be amazing on the wide version. Interesting history here.....

Sid
SE FL
Nice to see such a well preserved 49a!

As some of you may have picked up I live in Cape Town South Africa and not being so young any more, grew up with Penn 49 reels.   For many many years in this country if you fished, you owned a Penn 49 or 49a as there was little else that was worth owning.   As a youngster I aspired to have one, but had to make do with what there was.

During 1961 I was introduced to Yellowtail spinning from shore.   This is similar to what they call LBG fishing in australia with the exception that we only use surface lures like Irons and other similar devices and we have very little variety in fish species.  97% of what we catch are Yellowtail, and generally smaller then those caught in California and Mexico.
The 49a was made by Penn at the insistence of some of the (then already old) guys I fished with during the late 60's early 70's as the standard 49 did not have adequate line capacity to subdue large Yellowfin Tuna and occasional Blue Fin that were sometimes hooked from shore.

Unfortunately much of this history is fairly vague and perhaps some of you may know a bit more about it and I would love to hear more from the US side.    I'll look up what I know about it and post some if of interest.

From 1990 Penn reels started to become obsolete here and were quickly replaced by Shimano's and Diawa's that were lighter, better casters and seen as much more sophisticated and Penn very quickly faded.    Today very few are seen around, though I am sure there must be thousands in boxes in peoples garages hidden somewhere.   The new generation Penns are struggling to get a foothold in the market.

I see the price tag on the reel Aiala posted is R206.75 which would indicate that it was probably sold around 1985.   The last one I purchased was in 1979 at R35-00 (about $2.20) at today's exchange rates!   Was still a lot of money then.
Cornelis