Older senators add on mod

Started by Shark Hunter, November 19, 2013, 10:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

Ok i just need to be as lucky as some of you guys after i get lucky enougb to find a nice girl to marry me ;D I hope there will be another 15 years before that or kids though
Grayson Lanier

DaBigOno

Don't wait too long Grayson,

The good ones might be gone in 15 years...

IMHO
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

I had to earn my Money on this one. I unbuttoned this baby, and this is what I found. Yuck!
This is not going to be an easy task. Lets start the degreasing! ;D
I don't know what kind of grease this is, but lets just say its a royal PIA!
I took it outside to spray the degreaser on and it was not cooperating. It was like Mud that wouldn't come off! I had no Brake cleaner on hand, so I broke out the WD and started scrubbing.
Three hours later and a lot of rags and towels and Q-tips, I finally got her cleaned up!
I think I'm going to have to break out the stainless posts after this.
After lots of Degreaser, WD-40 and Chrome polish, I finally came to the re-assembly. I'm tired, to be continued. ;)
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Looks like it's gonna be a beauty ...

Bunnlevel Sharker

That looked like a combination of river mud, old grease, and porta john sludge!
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I know it was Nasty!
I'm glad it didn't smell like porta-John Sludge! :D
What made it bad was the grease had broken down and left hard deposits on everything. I had to scrape it off, then reclean it. The toothbrush was not phasing it. I think this was a type of wheel bearing grease. Not meant for reels. It would have been fine if it was synthetic, like mobil 1 Red or similar.
I'm headed to the parts store for Brake Cleaner. This was by far, the worst reel I have had to clean up!
Guess it was 80 bucks for a reason! :P
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Hey, this is a good excuse for an ultra sonic cleaner now ;)
Grayson Lanier

Tightlines667

That mess looks O too familiar.  I've cleaned at least a few that looked similar.  The worse is old, cheap grade mixed with old WD-40 that has formed a sticky/ garfish varnish.  Soaking parts overnight in gasoline, MEK or some other strong solvent helps.  I typically stick to engine degreaser, simple green, or vinegar for most of my cleaning (carb cleaner for bearings). I've been using a phosphoric acid gel product (made by loctite), followed by sone chrine polish, to restore the chrome parts.  And often use a soft brass brush wheel on my grinder to buff out the gears, pinion&yoke.  I have been considering getting a sonic cleaner, but am thinking it might just end up creating more hassle then it's worth?

Nice job!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

bluefish69

I've soaked all my Spinning reels in WD-40 over night & they came out perfect. All the metal parts on my Newell's & Penn's I put Brake cleaner in a jar with the parts & Shake a little. Side Plates & all  plastic parts go in Greased Lightning cut with water.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

That's a lot of reel for $80, if it's still getting to you, put it in a baggy and send it over, I'll give you the $80 plus $30 for your troubles ;). The reel doesn't look that bad to me, I bet it will clean up nicely.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Yes, It did clean up nicely Old Buddy! Found a perfect thin aluminum shim for the sleeve rooting around in the garage.

Then I found this little Gem, Look familiar Grayson? The Plinth for the Jack has been broken off.

I busted open a 12/0 to see what I needed to do. These pics show all the crud I didn't get out!
Since the break was so jagged, I cut it off flush with the plate. The work begins to solve this little snafu.

I found a button head grade 5 allen head the correct length, found the fine thread nuts and with a little measuring, I think its better than new. I double nutted it with Loctite on the top. No worries!
Same allen as Alan's handles. Bonus! ;)

Nice and clean, Looks like it came like this.

Stainless posts in, proper grease over applied. Repair looks good and is functioning well.

Got the stand on and greasing up the spool, Quite a fine looking spool for this old 10/0!

While I was digging around in the Garage, I found an old Navy Pin. I cut the pins short, about 3/16"
and drilled the non handle side careful not to go through, added epoxy and it is the finishing touch! ;)

Finished Product! This reel is special to me for some reason. I took my time and did it right!

Next!

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice Job Daron, you're getting very comfortable with those monsters. I like your solution with that broken post, that's not going anywhere ;).
Also, nice touch with that Navy pin, you did forget about a little something though, where is the second dog? ;D .
Nice job!...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Very nice, Daron.  This oughta be another photo of the month candidate.
viurem lliures o morirem

DaBigOno

Bunnlevel Sharker

Thanks Daron, i will have to try that when i get a chance ;D
Grayson Lanier