Penn 113mtl

Started by JasonF, November 21, 2013, 04:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

I was doing the pawn shop circuit today looking for something to rebuild and ran accross a Senator 113mtl, brand new, the shop will sell for $160.  I told them that I need to research (ask about it here!) it before purchae.  So, is $160 a decent deal for this reel?  Is it at all a hard to find reel?  I have absolutely no need for it.  If I buy, it will be just to add to my collection.  What do you guys think, buy or no buy?

john2244

I don't think many MTL's were made, I purchased a new MTL for my collection and paid about $150. 
John

redsetta

I reckon they're great and a pretty unique too.
There was a bit of discussion here about price: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6120
Let us know how you get on, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

day0ne

Quote from: john2244 on November 21, 2013, 05:00:25 AM
I don't think many MTL's were made, I purchased a new MTL for my collection and paid about $150.  
John

X2
Nice reel, different from a 113H and had a very short life. It is sort of between the 113H and the 113HN. Has 2 spool bearings like the 113H  but has alum frame, side plates, versa drag, dual dogs, SS gears, plus a bearing on the handle end of the gear sleeve  like the 113HN. It was Penn's version of the "Tank" and a nice one.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

JasonF

Huh.  Based on all of those features I think that the price is right.  If I were to buy a 113h, take time to double dog, buy a SS gear sleeve, find aluminum plates, etc. I would have a hell of a lot more than $160 invested.  Sounds like I will only need to put in the other SS bits I like and replace the handle and it will be a reel to my liking.  Thanks for the advice guys, I feel confident that it is not a waste of $!

Btw, I will post photos of it as I break it down to service as there are apparantly differences from the standard 113's.  I do not see a tutorial specific to this model in the Penn tutorials.

broadway

Jason,
Don't walk, run! ... you'll be able to sell it here for $200 minimum if you don't wind up using it... I may even have a buyer in mind if it has a box ;)
Dom

JasonF

I ended up talking them down more to $150, so I am quite happy with the deal.  I was not expecting to get the box and parts, but after I bought it the guy pulled it from the back.  I am looking forward to taking this thing apart!  Does anyone know of a source for a crank arm that will work on this gear sleeve and work with Alan's 3/0 handle?  Also, would I be able to take the frame and spool from my 113hn and put them in these sides? An all metal Baja Special!?

broadway

Jason,
   I don't know the answer to your first question is but the second questions answer is nope.
Good luck
Dom

JasonF

I don't like your answer!  :)

Bryan Young

Let me help you take that reel off your hands to relieve you of your disappointment. ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

Quote from: JasonF on November 21, 2013, 06:15:26 PM

I ended up talking them down more to $150, so I am quite happy with the deal.  I was not expecting to get the box and parts, but after I bought it the guy pulled it from the back.  I am looking forward to taking this thing apart!  Does anyone know of a source for a crank arm that will work on this gear sleeve and work with Alan's 3/0 handle?  Also, would I be able to take the frame and spool from my 113hn and put them in these sides? An all metal Baja Special!?

Even though Pennparts doesn't show it, the handles from 113H's seem to fit fairly well
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bunnlevel Sharker

You lucky dog!!!!!!!! ;D ive wanted one forever, just cant find the right price. Same thing for a 9/0 accuframe
Grayson Lanier

JasonF

Ive got one of those too!  Had two but sold one here a few months ago.

BMITCH

That is one BEAUUUUUTIFUL reel. Good luck with it Jason. Sounds like the bargain of the year. Are those Phillips head screws for the side plates?
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Those are torx type of screws.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D