Penn 113mtl

Started by JasonF, November 21, 2013, 04:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

They had advertisements and photos of the 114mtl but it was never produced. I bet there are a couple of prototypes floating around out there.
Dom

gstours

What is wrong with the penn 113mtl??  Ive never seen one in a retail store (nor a baha hn)  they seem like just the ticket with a lot of improvements people are doing to the older senators,, I looked at the schematics and they have like 5 large dia eared dragwashers and a stack of keyed steel washers (like the baha) a big deep main gear, double dogs, and a real bearing supporting the gearsleeve kinda like the baha.......are these reels still in production?  what is the retail average price??????  they never caught on i guess,,,,,maybe timing of marketing is poor????   anybody have one,,,,,like it????or??????    just wondered>>>>gstours.

SoCalAngler

They were heavy, a bit cluncky for lack of a better term, and the price point was not all that great for a reel to fish 40 to 60 lb test. The Baja Specials were a better fit at a better price point and even then Penn only does a limited run from time to time of these reels because they don't sell many. They sold even less of the MTL 113's. Penn stopped making them right around the time the first Torque's came out. Even Penn went back to the drawing board on the first generation of Torque's to reduce weight and remove that cluncky feeling in them.