all the info you need!

Started by alantani, November 22, 2013, 01:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Aiala on March 29, 2014, 05:47:21 PM
Even though I'm not fortunate enough to be on the Ohana trip (this year!) I'll be using Perfection Loops on my 4-day in July. I've done well with them in the past; helps the baitfish swim freely, and a whole LOT cheaper than ringed hooks!  :)

-A-

The Perfection Loop is 70% or so at best (Alan's 50 % might be closer), I use them but I prefer ringed hooks, and I ring my own.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: alantani on March 29, 2014, 05:50:57 PM
check your perfection loops on a scale.  i use those knots when i want a snagged hook to break off.  i think a perfection loop is considered to be a 50% knot. 

I believe it, although I haven't lost 50% of my hookups. I just like the way the bait swims. Haven't used it for bottom fishing... hmm... something to consider.    

I love ringed hooks, but I don't know how to ring my own, and their retail cost is prohibitively expensive...  :P

-A-
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

Quote from: Aiala on March 29, 2014, 06:06:45 PM
I love ringed hooks, but I don't know how to ring my own, and their retail cost is prohibitively expensive...  :P

-A-

It's a easy job, the supplies and tooling is relatively low cost.  You need a silver solder flux, silver solder, SS butt rings (I make my own) and a small butane torch.  I will try to get a tutorial on doing it posted one of these days but my photographer (wife) is hard to convince she needs to help.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

When I was doing my own knot tests a little while back, I found the perfection loop to be superior to the surgeon's loop. Another one to consider is the Duncan or uni knot tied as a loop. The hook swings freely until a hookup, then the loop closes and the fight is on. Rated 75-82%.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Aiala, that's gotta be a perfect loop... ;D ;D ;D

I love ringed hooks, but I don't know how to ring my own, and their retail cost is prohibitively expensive...

end quote

just picture these hooks as penn reels and you'll jump to buy them... ;D ;D ;D

Aiala

Quote from: Mel B on March 29, 2014, 06:29:45 PM
Aiala, just picture these hooks as penn reels and you'll jump to buy them... ;D ;D ;D

If they are anodized in rainbow colors, you betcha!!   ;D

-A-
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

I make my own jump rings and braze the open end with silver solder.  Wire can be tiny or large as well as the ring size.  I make jump rings for my rock cod lures using recycled stainless steel bicycle spokes.  
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Lensters

Quote from: Keta on March 29, 2014, 06:14:52 PM
Quote from: Aiala on March 29, 2014, 06:06:45 PM
I love ringed hooks, but I don't know how to ring my own, and their retail cost is prohibitively expensive...  :P

-A-

It's a easy job, the supplies and tooling is relatively low cost.  You need a silver solder flux, silver solder, SS butt rings (I make my own) and a small butane torch.  I will try to get a tutorial on doing it posted one of these days but my photographer (wife) is hard to convince she needs to help.

Lee,

Get setup to do a couple of tutorials and I'll come down and shoot them for you.

Len
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

joel8080

Are California fishing licences required?.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

MarkT

Quote from: joel8080 on May 27, 2014, 03:56:19 PM

Joel 8080

No, we aren't going to be fishing in US waters.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Porthos

Quote from: joel8080 on May 27, 2014, 03:56:19 PM

Joel 8080
If one is from CA, and have it, why not bring it? I'm bringing mine just in case I want to throw a lure out while waiting to load up at the bait barge or at anytime while in U.S. waters.

If one is NOT from CA, then it's probably not worth trouble of getting one...just hang out until we get to Mex waters.