115 9/0 spool rubbing

Started by ropewrench, November 28, 2013, 11:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ropewrench

oh its old
but it came with another 9/0 with bearings and a drag upgrade with an aluminum spool
i couldn't pass up the deal
I upgraded to a stainless gear sleeve. its ready for soaking bait
does this bushing look right

it came with a handle

Alto Mare

If you're asking if the bushing is good, can't really go with your picture, on most reels the tolerance is so tight, all it takes is a hair to screw things up.
One thing I can tell you is that from the looks of it, I would get  a new one.
As I said earlier, $5 is a small price to pay.
But if you wanted to use the one you're showing, see how it goes when you install it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ropewrench

picked up a new bushing but they look the same length

hope some how this can make up that much gap

Bunnlevel Sharker

I serviced one that had a swelled bushing, it was binding heavily, switched it out and it was beautiful. BTW, it had a rare one piece spool as well with two bushings and no mods
Grayson Lanier

ropewrench

this is a one piece spool with bushings and it spins great

So I put the new bushing in and the spool is still hitting the side plate
I put the pinion gear back in to see what issues might be there
there is some wear on the spool grove on the pinion gear as if it has came out of sync
the spool is my only solution
if it was 3 1/4" and not 3 7/16" then the spool shaft would bottom out at the bushing and stop the spool from rubbing the side plate

ropewrench

more

Alto Mare

Bevel the top edge of your jack and see if that helps any, the spool might be rubbing on it.
Tolerance is tight, all you need is a little off, keep testing as you go.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

In the third picture, I see a gap between the bushing and the spool shaft. Have you tried some shims?
I'm just guessing here.
Life is Good!

ropewrench

shimming is an option
it would need 1/8 to clear the side plate

floating doc

I measured my (bronze) 115L spool as you asked.

Rim to rim: 3.34" or 85 mm on my cheap Harbor Freight digital calipers.
Central Florida

ropewrench

thanks I think mine is to 87 +
Looks like I have a spread problem

floating doc

Sounds like you've figured it out. I'm glad I could help.
Central Florida

Alto Mare

could you post a shot of your jack? but not if you've cleaned it already.

ropewrench

what ya trying to say I don't clean my junk
patina is a state of beauty
like my truck so what if there is a little metal holding the rust together

I haven't cleaned

here goes it looks like mine is 3.453 if i read this right

Alto Mare

;D ;D,  I also like patina as much as you do, especially on brass sculptures and copper roofs ;).
The reason I was asking, I was hoping to see some shiny spots at the tip of the jack, that would have confirmed what I was thinking.
On your second picture there is a nice grove on that spool, this was my first indication that the spool could be rubbing on the jack, but it doesn't appear to be so, I couldn't detect any shiny spots from your picture of the jack.
your spool IS 1/8" wider than most, I measured (3) spools and they're all the same 85.3.
With that said, I've never seen a brass solid spool spread, but have seen it on a three-piece spool and that spool was wobbly when spinning :-\.
I'm guessing the first run of the solid spools were a little wider, but don't have any to check.
Also, the older plates did swell from moisture, another good indication that the spool could be rubbing on the jack :-\.
Good luck with your investigation.
Sal