My jigging reel

Started by BMITCH, November 30, 2013, 04:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

Very nice; I've been dragging along with the same build for a while now. How did you set up your second dog spring? Any photos of that side plate after the modification?
Central Florida

BMITCH

Try chucking the screw in a drill and then grinding them running the drill counter to the grinder stone.
[/quote]

Lee, that's a great idea ;D next couple Im gonna try that! Thanks

Floating dock. Here's where the idea came from ;)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6405.0
luck is the residue of design.

alantani

stainless steel gear sleeve? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I agree Alan, I wouldn't think the brass Jigmaster sleeve would stand up to Bryan's drags for long.

Fantastic reel by the way. I'm not going the narrow route, have you seen the BFS on ebay?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

my experience, SS sleeve should be OE on all expensive conventional SD reels. what's expensive, i guess that's subjective. ;D

BMITCH

Oops :P of course a Alan T SS sleeve. I've changed soooo many of these hat you almost take it for granted. Sorry Alan. In the evolution of this reel that was the first upgrade! ;)

Alto Mare

OK Bob, I got me some ss hex screws from McMaster Carr and decided to give it a shot

Not as shiny as yours, but I still like it.
Thanks for the tip guys.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Every Penn reel of mine will soon look like that! That is cool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Sal, did you turn them with a lathe or like Lee suggested, with them chucked up in a drill and turned in the opposite direction of the grinding wheel? I know you were looking into a lathe so I'm thinking that would give a nice uniform appearance. BTW that reel is a work of art!
Bob

Alto Mare

No Bob, no lathe yet, It's going to have to wait for now. I chucked them up on my hand held dremel and let them spin while working a grinding stone to it. Very easy to do, but you need  to be careful applying too much pressure, let the tool do the work.
Where did you get your screws? mine were roughly .7cents each.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

I think on amazon? I've been on such a screw jones lately. It's probably for another thread but, what's your thoughts on the 114H screws. Again a difficult find. They are a 8-40. I was thinking maybe drill and tap to say a 10-32. Then there would be a heck of a lot more options. :-\

floating doc

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 03, 2013, 10:33:25 PM
No Bob, no lathe yet, It's going to have to wait for now. I chucked them up on my hand held dremel and let them spin while working a grinding stone to it. Very easy to do, but you need  to be careful applying too much pressure, let the tool do the work.
Where did you get your screws? mine were roughly .7cents each.

So the dremel didn't damage the threads? Why a stone vs. a file?
Central Florida

Keta

The Dremel's collet holds the screw almost full contact, if it does damage the threads it's only rolling them and they can be straightened out with a die nut.

Stones tend to leave a smoother finish.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

erikpowell

I'm surfing McMaster-Carr for the first time .... nice !
are those torx screws you're using flat head or button head ?
8-32, T-15 right?  what's the length?

actually, I'm looking at them for my 113h too.... they're probably different eh?
thanks
E

Alto Mare

No Damage on the threads, but as I mentioned above, I don't apply too much pressure.
I've tried the file, a stone does a better job. I actually use a sharpening stone that came with my vintage hand crank.
You might find other options, use whatever works for you.

Here you go Erik:
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=92210A128
I did get the 5/8 also.

Sal