Can switching to a longer handle give more power?

Started by thedw, December 07, 2013, 09:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Makule on December 09, 2013, 02:19:37 AM
Quote from: thedw on December 08, 2013, 06:54:30 AM
ok. so can it be safe to say:

that if im using a high gear reel and i would like more cranking power, i can achieve this by using a longer handle?

javascript:void(0);
Simple answer to this specific question:  Yes.

I agree!... I just want to mention that having it too long might not feel right to you.
Using different lengths will help you determine which one works best for you, Lees three hole handles make it easy for you to experiment.
We're not all the same, I have some big hands...Dominick said so, but he probably was trying to pick me up ;D.
A 5.5" handle on a 113H feels too long to me, a 4.5" is much better. I understand that it has three holes, but the 4.5" would still feel better for me than the 5.5".
The smaller the reel, the shorter the handle and so on.
What has been working for me is a 4" on jig-masters and smaller, 4.5" on 4/0, a 5" on a 6/0 and 9/0 and a 5.5"on a 10/0 and up .....just my thoughts
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

I think that's important, Sal. We often are concerned about this particular feature or that certain mod, when in reality it all means nothing if you can't fish the reel. What good is a 5:1 Jigmaster that can handle 80# line if you can't crank the fish in with it? I do not believe that is what the OP is after, but it is a very valid point, maybe the most valid point.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Ron Jones

You did;
We just won't ever leave anything simple around here!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Snagged2

bottom line,,, no pun intended....

that's a nice boat,, and the rod looks adequate!!! ;D