Penn Leveline 350M

Started by Nemo, April 20, 2010, 02:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

no problem.  so we're pouring lead tomorrow.  got time to swing by? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ScottyWilco

Hello,
       I had seen your photo's of the PENN Leveline 350 you pulled apart for a service.

So silly me thought i could do it too, pulling it apart was easy yeah Wink

I have just noticed the problem im having putting it back together..... on the very center shaft you have removed the gear from it!

Well I have removed the center shaft while the gear is still attached to it, how on earth did you remove the gear from that center shaft? And i guess more importantly how do you replace it?

Thank you for your help

Irish Jigger

Welcome to the Forum Scotty.
If you have a "Penn Instruction & Parts Manual" (which came with every Penn reel in the good old days,) there is an instruction on page 6 showing how to replace the leveline spiral bar.

alantani

take a look at the schematic and tell us which part numbers you are talking about.  alan

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/350m.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

ScottyWilco

Quote from: alantani on November 22, 2011, 08:53:00 PM
take a look at the schematic and tell us which part numbers you are talking about.  alan

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/350m.pdf

THANK YOU

I believe it part no. 13

Here is a photo of the part, the gear is still attached to center shaft, and the second pic shows where im up too, notice the gear missing in the center.

Thanks for your help guys

My father gave the real a few years back, i didnt get the book with it. Repairing it means a lot to me as i lost Dad a few months back to the cancer. You know how it is, sentimental. Plus its a DAM good real ;)

alantani

find two small flat #2 screwdrivers.  wedge them in underneath the pinion gear very gently at 180 degrees.  now turn both screwdriver handles clockwise and lift up the pinion gear.  take care not to damage anything.  you have a pinion gear that is stuck onto the spool shaft.  this is a more common problem with the 320/330 gti.

ScottyWilco

Quote from: alantani on November 23, 2011, 08:04:50 AM
find two small flat #2 screwdrivers.  wedge them in underneath the pinion gear very gently at 180 degrees.  now turn both screwdriver handles clockwise and lift up the pinion gear.  take care not to damage anything.  you have a pinion gear that is stuck onto the spool shaft.  this is a more common problem with the 320/330 gti.

WOOT WOOT ITs back together and it working like brand new........ OMG i thought i had stuffed it.......... THANK YOU SO MUCH :D

Alto Mare

Sorry about your father ScottyWilco. I'm glad you got that reel to work, great job! Now go fish with it....I'm sure that's what he would have wanted  you to do with it. Take care. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Well done Scotty.
x2 on Sal's post.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

Dominick

How about that Alan?  Sometimes you even surprise youeself ;D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ward

Anybody needin parts for a Leveline 350 only needs to send a PM to me.  I have one in good condition other than one of the gears to the spiral shaft is missing - a part nobody has available.  So, this Penn 350 is destined to supply parts to keep other old reels functioning.  Ward

frazerp

Found one in my old filing cabinet - seems fine, tho' I'm mostly a spinner - what to do with it ??

And should the knurled knob for the sprial bar be adjustable - mine seems frozen, maybe abit of WD40

Thanks all ...

tristan

Frazerp -

I know this is an old post I'm responding to...   but here it goes.

If you're talking about the knob on the left plate, at the end of the spiral line-lay bar, then yes it's 'adjustable' in the sense that you can adjust it too much and bind the bar's operation.    I've 'fixed' two 350's, one in which the knob was too tight and binding, and one in which the bar was installed backwards (much hilarity ensued...)

Great reels, just wish they had a bit more drag.    And, spare parts available.   :-)

foakes

I might have some NOS parts for 350s.

Depends on what you might need.

Know for sure I have some new level-wind assemblies still in parts envelopes.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.