where on the boat do yall like to be?

Started by pcde123, December 13, 2013, 05:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcde123

alright ill probablt try cast netting with my friend, try to bring in as much bait as we can, but dang 100 people.....poeple are gonna suck the live bait dry in minutes, oh well , i like castnetting, can i bring in dead bait??? i know that you tend to catch vermillion snapper and since those are game fish you cant use them as bait....there awesome bait tho, ive left my rod sitting out with a vermillion on it accidently and ended up catching  an amber jack

maxpowers

I like the bow for jigging if you are drifting.  The reason is most of the time the captain is metering fish and calculating his drift based on the metering and the current.  Most sonar is located toward the bow so it is likely that you will drift over teh most productive part of the spot.  That is how I usually rockfished in Southern California.  If you are in shallow enough water and you are anchoring up then it doesn't matter.

Shark Hunter

Transdermal patch? I thought you were a tough guy Dominick! >:(
We don't need no stinking patches! ;)
before I went in the Navy, an Uncle of mine told me to always keep something on your stomach and you won't get seasick.
It worked for me. I have never been seasick. I was on a Destroyer, so it got pretty rough. I remember one morning putting on my shoes, I lifted a foot while sitting in a chair and the Ship went up a big roller. I took off like a bowling ball and crashed into a bunch of guys watching TV. ::)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 18, 2013, 11:05:49 PM

Daron: I'm a wimp when it comes to motion sickness.  I can't handle a boat without the patch.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 18, 2013, 11:05:49 PM
before I went in the Navy, an Uncle of mine told me to always keep something on your stomach and you won't get seasick.
It worked for me. I have never been seasick. I was on a Destroyer, so it got pretty rough. I remember one morning putting on my shoes, I lifted a foot while sitting in a chair and the Ship went up a big roller. I took off like a bowling ball and crashed into a bunch of guys watching TV. ::)

That always sucks. It really sucks when you crash into somebody with a cup of coffee and he decides to christen you with boiling joe!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

floating doc

Motion sickness is awful. I thought I was immune, until I made the following combination of bad decisions:
1. worked very late, got up early very early and showed up at the dock with three hours sleep.
2. didn't eat breakfast (I normally always do).
3. decided since I was hungry, I would share some greasy cold fried chicken with one of the other fishermen.

When we went out Belmar inlet I could hear the prop race as the boat got airborne. That's not such a big deal if you're used to fast outboard boats, but we were in a single screw, diesel powered wood-hulled trawler. It was pretty snotty. Then we proceeded to troll for several hours, parallel with the beach.

I wasn't feeling very good, but I've never been seasick, so I was ok. That is, until I heard the fellow that brought the chicken. He was in the head for hours making noises like he was trying to vomit up his appendix. I finally figured that I might not feel as bad if I went ahead and vomited. Once that was over with, I felt better. In addition, the seas were laying down, plus we finally located fish and started slinging jigs. Only problem was, I was too weak to stand. I could sit on the motor box, but I couldn't get the diamond jig moving fast enough to get a hit. I was done in.

The next day I realized that I had pulled a muscle in my ribs when I vomited. I spent the subsequent three days laying in bed trying not to move my ribcage, which is only possible if you stop breathing.
Central Florida

TomT

I never USED to get seasick.  At about age 60 (probably when I had to start medications: blood pressure and cholesterol), I started getting seasick in rough seas. :-\  The patch is the answer--side effect for me is "dry mouth".  In calmer seas, I have no motion problems so Baja fishing is fun. ;)
TomT

Dominick

Quote from: TomT on December 19, 2013, 04:21:31 AM
I never USED to get seasick.  At about age 60 (probably when I had to start medications: blood pressure and cholesterol), I started getting seasick in rough seas. :-\  The patch is the answer--side effect for me is "dry mouth".  In calmer seas, I have no motion problems so Baja fishing is fun. ;)
TomT

Tom T I get the dry mouth syndrome but it is better than getting sick.  I don't know if this is true but an older guy told me the same thing at around age 60 he started getting seasick.  His doctor told him that there are cilia in the ear canal that lay down as we age.  Those cilia would keep one from getting sick.  I don't know if this is true or not but I got seasick from when I was a kid.  Yea Baja.  I love it down there.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

The last time I got sea sick was passing the Columbia River Bar in December on a surfaced submarine. Staring out the periscope for to long got to me. :(
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Makule

I prefer to be off any boat and on dry land.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

I've got a World Cat and the best place for stability is most certainly at the stern....  If I were fishing a drift I'd be at the stern (less line tangles) ...if I was anchored I'd be at the stern (usually the transducer is in the rear).  Only drawback is the diesel (sulfur dioxide) which is known to cause nausea.  If you don't mind suckin' up the exhaust ...Go to the stern!
Have a safe/ successful trip!
Dom

floating doc

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 20, 2013, 02:11:51 AM
Quote from: Makule on December 20, 2013, 02:00:42 AM
I prefer to be off any boat and on dry land.
Wimp!!! ;D

I can't fault you for that. Boats can be uncomfortable, dangerous places.

As for me, I find that being out of sight of land is like therapy.
Central Florida

Ron Jones

Quote from: floating doc on December 20, 2013, 03:13:01 AM
As for me, I find that being out of sight of land is like therapy.
There is no place like home...there is no place like home.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

BMITCH

Really I want to be in the spot that's catching fish :o ;D
luck is the residue of design.