9/0 Frame Kit

Started by broadway, December 16, 2013, 02:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 20, 2014, 07:21:23 AM
You did good Aiala, but I think you are going to need a rod clamp. I can't see one in the listing.

Mr. Shark, I do believe you're right. Drat, I was so focused on making sure I got a rod brace that I forgot about the clamp... duh.

Well, I could easily order one from Scott's, but won't Dom's frames come with a clamp?

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Chris Gatorfan

Yes they will have a clamp
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Aiala on January 20, 2014, 02:54:15 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 20, 2014, 07:21:23 AM
You did good Aiala, but I think you are going to need a rod clamp. I can't see one in the listing.

Mr. Shark, I do believe you're right. Drat, I was so focused on making sure I got a rod brace that I forgot about the clamp... duh.

Well, I could easily order one from Scott's, but won't Dom's frames come with a clamp?

~A~
The "duh" is on me now! ;D

Life is Good!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Well, I finally received the 9/0 I bought on eBay, and it is a glorious mess which will, in addition to tweaking my OCD tendencies to the max, efficiently transfer sizeable chunks of my savings to Scott's Penn Parts Dept. Aside from that, though, I feel like a dumb cluck for missing a telltale clue –clearly visible in the photo– which indicates that the reel was previously worked on by some inept character who didn't know what the <bleep> they were doing. So now, in a little angling version of Where's Waldo, which of you sharp-eyed gents can be first to spot the flaw I missed? 

~A~

Shark Hunter

The eccentric lever being backwards is no big deal. Its usually an easy fix.
Life is Good!

broadway

The eccentric lever is on backwards. The only time I've seen that is like you said... Inept reel tinkerer or the outer ring didn't fit properly on the side plate making it impossible to re-attach the lever the proper way.
I have faith in ya, you can get that baby purring.
Good luck with it,
Dom

Aiala

Bada-bing!

Shark and Dom nailed it. (Why am I not surprised??)  :D

~A~

Irish Jigger

Always a sure sign the reel needs a complete overhaul.
I know you will have it up and running soon. ;D

This is quite common, see link below

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9502.msg86533#msg86533

Shark Hunter

I think it makes it more interesting. Just the challenge to make it tick like a fine swiss watch! ;D
Life is Good!

Dominick

You are right Dom.  The problem tinkerers have is that they hook up the spring on the eccentric then try to get the eccentric lever on.  Oops it doesn't go on, I guess I have it backwards, oh yeah that's right the knob must face out or it won't go on.  Alan took care of that in one of his earliest tutorials.  You grasp the loose end of the spring and snap it into place after the eccentric lever is in place.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

One of my very first posts on here was this same problem. I bought a reel that had it on backwards, I took it apart and put it on backward again. :P We all have to start somewhere and that's what this site is all about! ;D Turning the Inept tinkerer into a knowledgeable reel builder and pay it forward! ;D
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Knowledgable reel builder???? I know JUST enough to be dangerous ;)
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Yes, the triple tank is definitely Dangerous!  :o
Ok, "More than Inept tinkerer" sounds better. ;)
Trying to be humble. ::)
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Irish Jigger on January 24, 2014, 06:52:14 PM
Always a sure sign the reel needs a complete overhaul.

Omigosh, you have no idea.  :P

Quote from: Irish Jigger on January 24, 2014, 06:52:14 PM
I know you will have it up and running soon. ;D

I appreciate the encouragement, and shall certainly give it my best shot. Besides, as the saying goes, it's an ill wind that blows no good. Some helpful soul had posted elsewhere about polishing a reel's metalwork with a Dremel tool, and, well, that was right up my obsessive alley, so of course I immediately went out and bought one --along with a can of Mothers polish-- and now I can't wait to try it!   :)

~A~