Lexa 100 question!!

Started by WalterWyman, November 15, 2016, 12:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalterWyman

Brothers, I have a lexa 100 that when you tighten the drag to the max it gets hard to reel. Everything is checking out and getting on my nerve! What can I be missing? Go as basic as posible I am missing something!!!
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

johndtuttle

This is kind of a stumper but Alan has posted about another star drag reel having this trouble and he may have some insight but not seen this thread. Maybe send him a pm.

My only idea is maybe the drag under the main gear is shot or need grease.

handi2

Im thinking that the drag star is binding on the reels body.

When I'm working on baitcasting reels I adjust this by using shims next to the spring washers.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Lunker Larry

I'm with handi2. I think there'd be something binding against the star drag.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Pro Reel

Check the anti reverse clutch / one way bearing. It might have got pushed down in the side cover and is rubbing on the drag plate. Also, make sure the sleeve is sticking out of the top side of the one way bearing so that the curved washers are on the sleeve and not rubbing on the bearing.

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on November 16, 2016, 11:27:48 PM
Im thinking that the drag star is binding on the reels body.

When I'm working on baitcasting reels I adjust this by using shims next to the spring washers.

2x
The Baja Guy

handi2

PM me your address and I'll mail you a couple.

The silver shim is factory. The brass shim is a Shimano bearing thrust washer that is used on all their low profile and round baitcasting reels. It is used to adjust the amount of play in the drag star.

I don't like it when there is a big gap between the drag star and handle. Or you have to turn the drag star forever for the drag to start working.

The shim is the same dimensions as the roller clutch bearing sleeve meaning it won't bind when the star is super tight.

I use them on these small reels and up to the big Trinidad reels to make sure your getting all the drag possible.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

WalterWyman

Brothers, Thanks for all of your help! It turns out that the bottom plastic gear that moves the gear on the level wind was on upside down! After this was changed it was fine!

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Wally
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

johndtuttle

Quote from: WalterWyman on November 21, 2016, 03:21:46 AM
Brothers, Thanks for all of your help! It turns out that the bottom plastic gear that moves the gear on the level wind was on upside down! After this was changed it was fine!

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Wally

Thanks for updating us. We'll try and remember that as a possible culprit in the future.  ;)