salt and pepper squid

Started by wallacewt, December 18, 2013, 06:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 19, 2013, 04:22:02 PM
Quote from: wallacewt on December 18, 2013, 09:45:39 PMcooked it and it tasted like a truck tyre
That is why I really like fresh market squid (less than 8" in body length)

You could pound it but I think it makes a mess.  We often use a baking soda brine, I believe...or was it baking powder...I cannot remember...one of those two then rinse and resoak with salt water again.  Dry then cook.  I'll have to check.
Next time we'll ask a real Hawaiian dude.   :D :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Their are a bunch of guys on Salty Dog's that eat Humbolt, I'm sure you can find a recipe their.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

LTM

Wallace that looks great, I love squid/calamari prepared like what you have done. There's a restauraunt in Santa Monica, Ca that does a fantastic job on squid. I could walk around with a brown paper bag full of the stuff chewing and smacking all day like popcorn. Definitely going to try this out. I eat humbolt as well, however I'll pass on the Balut.

Thanx Wallace/Liz,

Leo

wallacewt

conchydong

Quote from: wallacewt on December 21, 2013, 09:30:40 AM
whats balut?

Balut is a fertilized duck egg that has been boiled. You crack the top of the egg, drink the liquid then eat the duck embryo. I've had good and bad ones. The bad ones are when the baby duck is too mature and you get hard pieces of beak and pin feathers. You need to be drinking when you try them.

Dominick

Not just drinking, but soused.   :D Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

philaroman

1) even properly tenderized squid will get rubbery if you overcook it

2) when done right, "salt-baked" is an AWESOME cooking method for squid, frogs, fish, etc.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 21, 2013, 05:11:54 PM
Not just drinking, but soused.   :D Dominick
I don't think there is enough Liquor to get me to eat Balut! :P
Life is Good!

MFB

The worst thing I have ever eaten is kina (sea eggs) you crack them open & eat the roe. A lot of people like them, but it's like have a raw egg yolk & a tablespoon of salt in your mouth. People tell me I must have got a bad one, but I don't know because it's not an experience I am keen on repeating ever....

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

wallacewt

haha
a fertilized duck egg
wouldnt wanna be a terror-duck-tile. :D

philaroman

oh, stop picking on Asian foods -- whitey gave the world Limburger & Lutefisk

Dominick

Quote from: philaroman on December 22, 2013, 12:31:16 AM
oh, stop picking on Asian foods -- whitey gave the world Limburger & Lutefisk

;D ;D ;D and haggis.  Dominick

philaroman

haggis is no biggie.  I don't generally care for stomach walls in any recipe, but I can deal & the stuffing is as good as the chef who made it...  I rather like extra-fresh, well-prepared pluck & old-world whole grains

back to seafood: ever have fried milt?  most people can't get enough, UNTIL you tell 'em what it is

Dominick

I just Googled Milt.  No thanks.   :-X  Dominick

Jerseymic

Quote from: philaroman on December 22, 2013, 01:51:10 AM
haggis is no biggie.  I don't generally care for stomach walls in any recipe, but I can deal & the stuffing is as good as the chef who made it...  I rather like extra-fresh, well-prepared pluck & old-world whole grains

back to seafood: ever have fried milt?  most people can't get enough, UNTIL you tell 'em what it is

Fried milt, wonderful, we have always eaten it in the (British) Channel Islands, love Haggis too, used to make my own, along with sausages and pigs head brawn, nothing wrong with the stomach wall (caul) the fat from the caul gives lots of flavour to the Haggis.

Mike.