My brand new Penn 50 VSX

Started by Islamor, August 20, 2017, 06:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islamor

Hi,

I just bought a Penn International 50VSX from TackleDirect.com.  This is my first International and first two speed reel.  Out of the box the reel seemed perfect, like new, but soon stopped shifting into low gear.  The shift button seems fine, it just will not stay engaged in low gear.  Everything else seems fine on the reel.

I've been through Alan's excellent 2009 post on the 50 VSX numerous times.  My question is do I probably have a shifter catch holder assembly (pn 170-30vs) that is just not doing it's job?

Is this a simple adjustment that I can make or should I send this reel back and buy an Avet?

Returning the reel to Penn for a warranty repair is the easy answer, but a hassle, and I get the impression from the 2009 post that the reel might be improved by a careful update on the lube anyway.

Thanks for your help!

alantani

here is the schematic.  if you've never had the shifter apart, it is a little tricky.  the shifter retaining ring (#110C) unscrews, but you have to hold the handle locking plate (#110A) with the wrench provided.  the retaining ring is often very stubborn.  then you can fiddle with the shifter catch holder assembly (#170) and maybe see what's wrong with it.  

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/50vsx.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Islamor

Thanks for the reply Alan, sent it back.

SoCalAngler

I have not played around with a 50 VSX in some time but other two speed reels need a little drag pressure to have the shifting work correctly. Before taking the shifter apart add a little drag to the reel. Even a little thumb pressure on the spool should work and then try the shifting. Several two speed reels I worked on and one I own had the same issue until I figured out a little amount of drag applied to the spool and everything worked fine.

I'm not talking much drag pressure. Even the amount of the line in the water with a bait or trolling lure attached is what I found to be enough for the shifter to work.

Remember most people won't be shifting until they need more cranking power and that usually is after their hooked to a fish.

Edit: Before sending it back or in for repair strap it to a rod with some line on it. Then add like 3-5 lbs of drag and see if the shifter works. I bet it will, if not back it goes or off to Penn.