WHy do low gear reels have more cranking power than high gear reels?

Started by thedw, December 26, 2013, 01:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedw

I know it has got something to do with the moment/torque,
but can anyone explain in depth to me?

pictures would help :)

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Fish-aholic

Think of the gearing/ratio like that of a push bike which has a selection of different gears for use in situations where appropriate - e.g. Peddling uphill causes greater resistance on rotating the peddles, so for the rider to stop early fatigue in their legs, the selection of 'lower gearing' will see the rider being able to 'continue peddling' into the increased resistance riding uphill creates. If the available 'high gears' were to be selected, the peddles become very difficult to rotate/lockup forcing early fatigue to the riders legs. Vice versa when riding downhill, high gearing is selected due to the force change which then gives the rider added peddling traction.

So, basically, with reels that have 'high gear ratios', once there is resistance (fish) attached to the business end, the greater resistance will see the tactic of 'pump and winding' being more appropriate to deal with the task. Trying to continually rotate the reel handle directly into the resistance will see 'handle lockup'.

For 'low gear ratio' reels, the operator can continue to reel into the resistance without the need to employ the tactic of pump and winding. You could simply rest the rod on the rail and wind away letting both the rod and the reels drag do all the work to subdue your quarry. That's the beauty of having two speed reels, best of both worlds.

Hope this helps, and a belated Christmas wishes to you all!

gstours

mr. fish-aholic said it best, and i will want to quote it to my friends, a very unique paralellogram,   a reel and a bicycle.....sometimes i wish my rod had handlebars too!!!!   thanks for your explanation and my excuse for the two-speed.........gst.

Ron Jones

It is that simple, and your right. Gearing in a reel works just like gearing in a bicycle. However, for every situation their is an optimal gear ratio that allows the force (the fisherman) to operate at the peak of the power curve. 2 speed reels double your chances of getting close to that optimal gear ratio. Increasing the length of the handle arm also helps by changing the shape of the curve to the fisherman's favor unless the fish is running at you.

I learned to fish, not reel. So it was never a huge issue for me. The pole brings the fish in, the reel holds the line. "Pump and wind" is a poor example of fishing, the fish should be held against the power of the rod until it gives up line that is then taken up by the reel.

Back to the point about gears, remember that it is in fact the final ratio that matters with what we are talking about. Spool diameter comes into just as much play as gear ratio does. Bicycles actually are a great example of why that works also, which is why I ride a bike with 700x23 tires.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Caranx

^^^^^^^^^
Spot on! Great explanation.
That's the way I see it and the way I fish.

I know there are different ways to fish for different kinds of fish.

Newell Nut

If you don't have a low gear for a heavy bottom fish you can't turn the handle and then it cuts you off on the reef. You need low gear to quickly winch one away from the sharp reef. And then some are going to kick you butt anyway.

thedw

Quote from: noyb72 on January 02, 2014, 05:05:41 AM
It is that simple, and your right. Gearing in a reel works just like gearing in a bicycle. However, for every situation their is an optimal gear ratio that allows the force (the fisherman) to operate at the peak of the power curve. 2 speed reels double your chances of getting close to that optimal gear ratio. Increasing the length of the handle arm also helps by changing the shape of the curve to the fisherman's favor unless the fish is running at you.

I learned to fish, not reel. So it was never a huge issue for me. The pole brings the fish in, the reel holds the line. "Pump and wind" is a poor example of fishing, the fish should be held against the power of the rod until it gives up line that is then taken up by the reel.

Back to the point about gears, remember that it is in fact the final ratio that matters with what we are talking about. Spool diameter comes into just as much play as gear ratio does. Bicycles actually are a great example of why that works also, which is why I ride a bike with 700x23 tires.
Ron

what do u mean by pump and wind?
so long as u dont winch the fish up  its fine.

by pumping, and then dropping the rod and winding at the same time, we take the stress off the reel, and use the rod for bringing the fish in instead.

Ron Jones

To me, "pump and wind" is displayed by someone who lifts the rod and reels down in a frantic manner apparently because they think that makes them look like they are hooked into a large fish. Their is a difference, in my mind, to someone who uses the advantage of the pole to control and tire the fish and then collect the line the fish gives up on the reel to someone flailing away on a half day boat to make themselves feel like they are now a fisherman. Because you asked the question and are a member of this board I am quite certain you are the former.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tightlines667

I am a big fan of the pump and wind technique when fighting big fish stand up, was taught by in mind's eye some of the world's best big game fishermen as a kid the 'proper' way to utilize your gear, harness/belt/rod/reel/and boat to gain line (and tire) large pelagics most effectively.  The technique varies deping on the rod length, gear employed, pressures involved, and whether or not your lifting a fish up, or picking line up while chasing down (or backing up to) a shallower fish, or trying to keep the line tight on a fish that is running towards you.  It takes a bit of practice to become proficient at pumping and winding so that the line is retrieved at a relatively constant rate, and the pressures on the line/gear/fish remain constant.  The idea is to use the rod to your mechanical advantage, and to reduce surges or changes in pressure on the fish.  The rod is what manages the fish's direction, and mitigates surges.  Unfortunately we have all seen inexperienced anglers ineffectivly use pump and wind causing many more problems (more lost fish, tangles, backlashes etc) then gaining any advantage.  I find it interesting that most party boat charter operators/mates have very strong feels against any of their fishermen using pump and wind.  While working as a mate on big game charter boats, I've seen many fish lost to poorly performed pump and wind technique, and admittedly most if these folks would have been much better of refraining from it altogether.  Kinda like when some fishermen like to pull a fish's head outta the water as soon as they get it to the boat/water's surface.  A quick shake of the fish's head or sudden burst boat side is often all she wrote, and the angler is often left wondering 'what the heck happened?', or blaming the mate for not landing the fish immediately.  Like everything..practice makes perfect.  Sometimes holding the rod perpendicular w/a steady crank is best for gaining line, other times at a 45 deg angle, sometimes you need to bow to the fish, and other times you need to take immediate and drastic measures, putting the rod tip deep into the water..etc, to avoid a cut off. 

Pump and wind is just yet another tool available.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thedw

perhaps noyb72 is referring to highsticking as well?

by keeping your rod angle low to the fish, u can apply max hurt on the fish as u r loading the rod on the butt and not the tip.

short strokes with just one crank per short pump brings the fish in the fastest!  ;D

Ron Jones

Quote from: thedw on February 06, 2014, 01:11:54 AM
short strokes with just one crank per short pump brings the fish in the fastest!  ;D
The above is what I call pumping and winding. What tightlines is describing is fishing. Reeling in a white sea bass with a 6/0 on a broom stick in a rod holder is called "reeling," that's just the jargon I grew up with.

Highsticking has it's place, it just comes down to what the fish doesn't want you to do.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"