Surfmaster 200

Started by Shark Hunter, January 03, 2014, 06:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishit 2

A buddy if mine recently gave me a 200, it came with the Penn Catalog from the mid '60's also, took it apart and put new drags in but I can't figure out how to install the clip - I'm used to a spring like the Squidders and jigmaster have installed, couldn't find a pic on the site, I tried looking at the Senator thread but it didn't help. Any advice guys?
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Keta

"Clip"?  Do you mean AR dog spring?

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

This is a pic of a double dogged 9/0 plate, but this should give you an idea where it goes and how it works. ;)
Your plate should have a small brass pin instead of the plastic post.
Life is Good!

Fishit 2

That's perfect guys thanks...
Having a hell of a time finding an AL spool, $45(incl ship.) is a little high, no?

Shark Hunter

Here is where I got mine.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/29L-200.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Keta

Scott's is the best price I've found and I will be buying one in the near future.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Fishit 2

Man I cannot seem to get this AR dog clip in the right way, I'm seeing a plastic pin not a brass pin that the dog sits upon, anyone have any tips to get this thing right?
http://twitpic.com/dvnzlw/full

Irish Jigger

Your dog is back to front and will not fully engage with the sleeve.
It does not locate on the "plastic pin".
Check the pic of the double dogged 9/0 showing correct dog engagement with the sleeve.

Shark Hunter

The Lower bridge screw holds the dog, not the pin. The plastic pin is for the spring to provide tension on the dog.
Life is Good!

Fishit 2

Has anyone had any problems when they used an AL spool in this reel? It was spinning perfect - both free spool and when in gear, now that I replaced the spool it is jerky jerky and has almost no free spool movement. I can recall someone else mentioning this but I can't find the solution.

Keta

Adjust the bearing on the non handle side.

Mark Twain

Fishit 2

That doesn't do anything, I have it in the loosest position and it still sticks. Not sure if the AL has a longer spool shaft or something but It won't spin nice no matter what kind of adjusting I do to the side bearings. Again the reel works flawless with the standard metal spool.

Fishit 2

I checked for this problem online and it seems others have had the same problem - I replaced the stock spool on my Penn 350 with an AL and there are no issues, not sure why the AL spool is binding up in the 200?

Shark Hunter

I have replaced just about all my Surfmasters to an aluminum spool and haven't run into any issues. You see this a lot with Jigmasters too. It is usually related to the pinion gear or the frame being tweaked.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I've run into that problem, but only  with a newell spool. The spool shaft on the newell is a little larger than penn. If your spool is from  penn, try new bushings they're only $4 each. If it happens to be a newell spool, you'll need to choke it up on a drill and let the tip of the spool shaft spin on some fine sandpaper for about 20 seconds, that should take care of it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.