Surfmaster 200

Started by Shark Hunter, January 03, 2014, 06:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 10, 2014, 11:57:03 PM
I prefer to dremel mine so I can blow some carbon fiber boogers for a couple days. :P

I would suggest wearing a dust mask ata minimum or a N-95 mask if possible. those fibers would be rough on th elungs, and I would hate to hear of fibertosis 20 years from now on this forum.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Shark Hunter

I only do it outside now with a fan blowing the dust away from me. I am going to start punching them out, so the dremel will no longer be used.
Life is Good!

mike1010

Here is something interesting.  It seems that the 200 is the only Surfmaster with the leaf dog spring.  The others all have a coil spring, at least according to the schematics at Scott's.  Can anybody comment on how and why that is?  Thanks.

Keta

Quote from: mike1010 on February 17, 2015, 06:52:40 PM
Here is something interesting.  It seems that the 200 is the only Surfmaster with the leaf dog spring.  The others all have a coil spring, at least according to the schematics at Scott's.  Can anybody comment on how and why that is?  Thanks.

I have 6 or so of the smaller surfmasters (200, 150 an 100) and have worked on several more, so far they have all had the flat spring.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I have a couple of dozen and I'm not exaggerating, opened everyone of them, 100, 150 and 200, all have the flat spring.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I just looked at the schematics, the drawings are wrong.  Go to where you order and checkout the photo of the spring there, all 3 reels take the standard flat 14-155 spring and 15-200 dog.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Sal and Lee, You are correct. I'm mixing these up with the Long beaches. They are the ones that come both ways.
I removed my original response.
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 17, 2015, 11:16:08 PM
Sal and Lee, You are correct. I'm mixing these up with the Long beaches. They are the ones that come both ways.
I removed my original response.

We all have our d'oh! moments.

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Your not kidding Lee! :D
I just hate when I give wrong advice. Someday, there will be a torch to pass on.
We have to get it right! ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

Mistakes are part of the learning process and when we are wrong we need to recognize it, that's how we learn.

Mark Twain

mike1010

Thanks, everyone.  Good detective work, Lee.

thorhammer

dunno if you went to al spools yet but they turn the 200 into a pretty decent caster....plastic ones explode under mono load (not to mention if you drop it, it chips easily) and the chrome has a lot of inertia for casting but ok if youre boat fishing

mike1010

I converted my 200 to a 100, and the kit includes an aluminum spool, which is an improvement.  The plastic spools are fragile, but I think they cast okay.

Mike

Aiala

Not in the same league with her blinged-out big siblings, but still a sweet little resto-mod Surfmaster 200:

Back in fighting trim and ready for action again!   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Beautiful, Aiala --

That aluminum spool makes this little 200 SM very capable.

Nice job!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.