Helping the Diawa 600s with Hex cf Drag.

Started by gstours, January 13, 2014, 07:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Hello again;  This post is to those interested in upgrading the Diawa 600s reels, as the question I was with the stock gear would a hex dragwashered set up be feasible or practical....This is a first for me as it has not been tested on real fish yet.  It is a doit yourself type kinda crude workmanship project to see if it will perform as expected and still in development, and not intended to compare with machine shop nor computerized milling. Ya its brass too so what, its was better than stock.  I think it will be ok  for some folks, so lets see!!!!
   The stock gear is very thick walled, so the Idea started there, layout and side straitline cutting is performed;

the 1.2mm reinforced cf washers were cut to fit tite, and the second dog was modified.
  the alum endplate was milled for fitting the dog.    the dog and spring are placed in plate.  then the plate is assembled.  the dog seems very quiet, but works well.  Spring configuration is a personel preferance and I didnt want to spend a lot of time here as that could be refined later....  this is another shot of the modified gear, that was eyeball milled, It has room for refinement, for sure!!!!! but did it work???? see attatched photos of my super hd rod....... the reel was walked across the yard a couple of times to burn in the washers a little, seemed smooth as cranking down increases...  then it was placed in the test reel holder as shown  and the reel could do 35# of static drag quite easily, as I would fish it at less, the maximum the drag would do cranking down on the star.
  As I used 4 drag washers (1.2mm) and 4 keyed steel washers (.040'') the drag performed as expected....Next step in progression will be  5 1.4mm cf washers and 5 steel .025'' washers and that would be the plan upcoming.....this should make a smoother drag as well at mid range settings......
    So thats what I,ve been up to......Some people have commented already, and feedback is good, dont worry, I get made fun of a lot!!!!

redsetta

Nice work mate - this is what it's all about ;)
Will look forward to a report from out on the water once the snow eases up!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

floating doc

Central Florida

Bryan Young

Love your creativity.

Those Daiwa brass gears look meaty and beefy to take the abuse.  Let us know how it performs in the long run. 

Thank you for sharing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Good work GS! Hard to believe you eyeball milled those! Excellent job Ole Boy! ;)
Life is Good!

Irish Jigger

Another "Tank",well done. I really like those aluminium side plates.

Kreate

Great work!  Glad to see some Daiwa hot rodding going on. 

MFB

Nice work, may have to give my 900H the same modifications.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Irish Jigger

You did a nice job in modifying the second dog,very innovative.
Good finish there too,thought it was stamped ;)

BMITCH

Gary, an EXTREMLY nice job! Very nice work on the second dog. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.