Olympic Dolphin 615

Started by coralsea, January 18, 2014, 06:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I can see a big hunk of melted plastic in your future. ;)
Life is Good!

alantani

so here is the level of performance that i recommend.  for me, any drag system needs to pass this test.  put the reel on the rod, run the line through the guides, put the rod in a holder and tie the line off to a container with the same weight as your desired drag setting.  if you are going to use 50 pound test and want a 30% drag setting of 15 pounds, use a bucket with 15 pounds of lead in it.  tighten the drag and reel up the bucket up to the rod tip.  now adjust the drag until the bucket falls by one foot every 5 seconds.  the drag has to be perfectly smooth.  THAT is the level of performance that i look for. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coralsea

Ok, will do it later...( i dont have the rods at home now).
I need the backet fall just smooth...right?
I dont quite understand how the backet would STOP every 5 sec. without adjusting the drag every 5 sec...
no pain-no gain

alantani

Ron Jones

Coralsea,
You adjust the drag so that it falls 1 foot every 5 seconds continously. If your rod tip is 3 meters off the ground then it should take your bucket 45 seconds to hit the floor. During that 45 seconds it should not jerk, stop and start or change speeds. It needs to start and fall perfectly smooth.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

coralsea

Got it, thanks. I"ll do it at home with the short rod. Anyway the fall must be smooth....I noted...
no pain-no gain

alantani

oops, thanks for clarifying that.

Ken_D

Aside: A web site in Scandinavia that has expired now, had almost a full collection of Olympic reels.
scandicfishing.com   Perhaps Mooki, Killerbug or Dr. Rob could speack to the old owner, and see if the collection is still out there, or on a server, that could be exported to an active site.
There were 187 Olympic drawings on the page.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060412175648/http://www.scandicfishing.com/schematics_index.htm

coralsea

In conclusion:
I performed a simple test to see the maximum possible drag for that reel.
The reel holds 20LB weight (in the air) with no problem.
One cannot say , of course, about the smooth drag with new drag washers due to the limited drag washers set and material structure ( not carbon  material).
But I satisfied with the result and would like to express my gratitude to this Site for the ocean of useful info in reel's repairs.

no pain-no gain