Olympic Dolphin 615

Started by coralsea, January 18, 2014, 06:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coralsea

Me  and friend of mine both have Olympic Dolphin 615 reel (gear ration 3.14:1)
My friend's reel is Ok, my reel has problem with the star drag.
I reassembled the reel and found out the graphite washers were completely gone, moreover, the main gear totally rusted with the bridge. I also could not take out the washers.
I ordered used Dolphin's side plates for repair. The sides came to me today.
The graphite washers also gone but I was lucky to take all of them out.
Could you tell me, please, what kind of washers (graphite or carbon) I can use to replace old ones?
Thank you.

no pain-no gain

Shark Hunter

Wow Timur! That's a tough one. Never heard of an Olympic Dolphin. Those sure look like Penn parts to me. Take some measurements of the drags and we can probably find them. ;)
You can also just buy some carbon fiber sheet and make your own. Wallace has some for sale.
Life is Good!

alantani

if you can carefully measure the inside diameter, outside diameter and thickness of the drag washer, we can find or cut something to match. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coralsea

The inside diameter is 1,2 centimeters, outside-2centimeters.
Regarding the thickness-not too thick ( i dont have appropriate equipment at home)
I think that i will order couple of carbon washers (cut the diameter if needed) for the Penn114H to replace...
no pain-no gain

Shark Hunter

If you buy sheets to cut your own Timur, Make sure you get the correct thickness or they won't fit in the gear when you stack them up. They need to measured with a micrometer. Stock 114H HT-100 drags are 1.30mm.
Life is Good!

coralsea

Noted and thank you. The reel's design will not allow to overthick the diametr of the washers.
no pain-no gain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coralsea

Auto CARBON FIBER VINYL film -can i use it or it is not the carbon material?
no pain-no gain

Ron Jones

That is not the correct material. Smoothdrag should be able to sort you out.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bunnlevel Sharker

Are you sure those washers weren't leather? And what's size reel would you compare the dolphin to?
Grayson Lanier

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

coralsea

With a help of the anti-rust stuff and little hammer I managed to separate the main gear from the bridge.
My oh my...

Same reels but different plates. Original is from the right and it thicker then the left partner.
Now, will look for the carbon to make washers.
no pain-no gain

Shark Hunter

Quote from: coralsea on January 19, 2014, 01:16:13 AM
Noted and thank you. The reel's design will not allow to overthick the diametr of the washers.
Not the diameter Timur, the thickness.
Life is Good!

coralsea

no pain-no gain

coralsea

Its done.
I took used drag washers from the Penn 113 4/0.
I made bigger holes in them so the washers could be easily placed on the bridge.
The reel is fully operational.
One more to my collection-)))
no pain-no gain