9/0 line setup

Started by Topshot, January 18, 2014, 07:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on January 19, 2014, 06:13:26 AM
I will figure out that pricing thing one day

It has to do with how it is made and how many fibers it's made out of.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on January 19, 2014, 04:37:29 AM
If I'm not mistaken i am right around 700 yards. She was spooled when i bought it. My drops are around 250-300 yards and i am at about 2/3 remaining on my spool.
Quote from: erikpowell on January 19, 2014, 03:53:00 AM
I was going to use straight mono on mine… mainly because I've already got a 1000m spool of Ande 80# Envy.

Chris, Daron how much 80lb do your 9/0 spools suck up? 

I already asked Daron this once before…. But sometimes I can't understand his accent  ;D ;D ;D   

What he said! ;D
Life is Good!

LTM

Jeri and guys,

How much line do you need on your reels? Has anyone you know RETRIEVED 500+ yards of line on a fish? I can understand guys surf fishing and casting 100+ yards to get into the strike zone. But gain back 500+ yards of line fighting a fish? Ive know guys who travel from socal to Hawaii for marling tournaments who battle thru the night on one fish; maybe on these and RARE occasions you use alot of line. But honestly how often have you RETRIEVED 500+ yards of line? I realize my fishing experience is somewhat limited, so please help me understand the need for 600+ yards of line on a reel. Oh yea, I remember when the crew on long range boats would tie another tuna combo onto your setup when near spooled on a cow tuna and TOSS ??? YOUR SETUP IN THE OCEAN to continue the fight. I told Frank LoPresta that I wasnt EVER going to do that and he wont worry about seeing me on his boat. I dont know about how much line was used in total, but was it over 600 yards...... dont know?  Dont mean to hijack the thread.

Thank you,

Leo

Shark Hunter

Leo,
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! ;)
Its all about the preparation. Hours and Hours of it pay off when the time comes! ;D
Life is Good!

LTM

Daron, when have you ever need it all or most of it is my question? And when have you EVER got it ALL back?

Leo

Chris Gatorfan

Like Shark Hunter said. You never know when a tru monster is going to take the bait. Just this summer alone i saw 3 9/0's get spooled, and several times we were able to see the spool through the backing before we finally got the sharks turned. anything can happen out there on the big lake.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

LTM

Thats the problem with MONSTERS  ::): they SPOOL YOU!!!!!!  And you NEVER SEE THEM, you were NEVER IN THE RACE!!!  You need a "bigger boat" and "bigger everything".

If I was 23 years old again, the size and physical condition of Mohammed Ali as I was at the time. I MIGHT consider a long protracted fight with some "monster" just to see "what if" but that's not my "cup of tea" period.

Bye,

Leo

Chris Gatorfan

Leo, keep this is mind. Having the right equipment will take you a long way. I use a short XH rod so that i can put more pressure on the fish. The long the rod you use the more i favor of the fish the fight becomes. Think of it this way Short rod means shorter fight, long rod means longer fight.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Topshot

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on January 20, 2014, 08:08:12 AM
Leo, keep this is mind. Having the right equipment will take you a long way. I use a short XH rod so that i can put more pressure on the fish. The long the rod you use the more i favor of the fish the fight becomes. Think of it this way Short rod means shorter fight, long rod means longer fight.
That's why my new seeker rod is xxh  ;)
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

Quote from: LTM on January 20, 2014, 07:48:38 AM
Daron, when have you ever need it all or most of it is my question? And when have you EVER got it ALL back?

Leo
I only have a few Sharks under my Belt Leo. Fishing from Shore is a disadvantage. I haven't been spooled yet, but I'm sure I will. Hopefully when a 10 footer picks up my bait, it will be my 14/0. ;)
1000 yards of 130lb test. :P
Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

Well Daron,
If I have anything to do with it, will Gaurantee that after your 2 weeks here this May, your arms are going to be worn out.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

LTM

Topshot,

I did mean to reply to your post, just got side tracked.  Anywho Topshot, have you considered doing what the long-rangers do for economy?  Since you have a MONSTER class reel, why not spool with solid core, then use some hollow core, then your top shot. My apologies for my digression. You guys have made me realize that Ive NEVER been into long battles with fish. I guess Ive had enough experience with big STUBBORN fish to not want to be bothered ANYMORE with them. Not that I can pick and choose. If I had my druthers now-a-days, I would keep my fish under 150 lbs that I fight with (thats plenty juicy and tender for me).

Leo

Shark Hunter

I'll have my younger brother and two Sons with me, plus all their wives. Its going to be a group effort!
My Brother is 6'2, 300 lbs. My Son is training for a Biathlon. Should the Big Boy come knockin' We will be ready! ;)
Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

Well I have a few good spots and I will keep track of which areas are doing the best...Our best night this past summer was 18 total, From sun down til about 4:30am...It was awesome.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!