squidder stainless gear sleeve with tight threads

Started by jigmaster501, January 23, 2014, 02:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

I'll put the crescent wrench to my coarse thread sleeve and see if I can get a star to thread on too...
I'm having the same issue with that top thread.. haven't been able to get the star to catch the first thread..
I'm trying 2 different 10-60's and a 10-66. None will go.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

alantani

Quote from: erikpowell on February 01, 2014, 10:54:02 PM
I'll put the crescent wrench to my coarse thread sleeve and see if I can get a star to thread on too...
I'm having the same issue with that top thread.. haven't been able to get the star to catch the first thread..

wierd.  there was never a problem with the squidder sleeves.  can you take a careful look a the topmost thread and see if it has the proper spacing? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

erikpowell

alan, yeah, the sleeves i have that the star works on seem to have a tiny "starter" thread that this one doesn't have....
HOWEVER, after holding the sleeve in a crescent wrench and forcing the star down ( i had to wrap a towel around it)
i was able to get it to go... it was HARD ... but it finally threaded on... after a few back & forths it seems the s.s sleeve just
tapped some new threads into the star... brushed out all the brass shavings and BOOM... she's set....spins right on now  8)

admittedly it was a little scary how hard I had to torque that star down, but I knew it was on straight so I kept going..

we're all set now, and that 10-66 star works fine on all the other sleeves too. no damage..

I still have that one sleeve that bulges at the base though... did some more filing, and I got the gear down another ⅛ inch, just right above the shoulder where the sleeve goes back to full round, but it won't go all the way down, and won't spin it's so tight.
i may have to send that one back to ya. cool?

alantani

naw, keep it.  i'll send you a new one.  send me a pm.  you're going to have to remind me of you address and which part i'm shipping.  getting stacked up again.

erikpowell

otghoyt

To all......

Mr, Alan Tani went 200 percent out of his way to make this gear sleeve thread issue right by me.  I almost feel guilty accepting what he did to appease my simple twenty dollar need.  Honor....a rare thing indeed.

Thank you,

Hoyt

alantani

no problem.  it's wierd how these things happen sometimes.  what i really should start doing is to sell these as a set with stainless steel stars. 

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

alantani

the stock stars are $4-5.  new ones would likely be twice that......   :-\

Irish Jigger

Has the potential for "thread galling" been considered if sleeve and larger star are both stainless steel?

alantani

yes, so one would be 304 stainelss and the other would be 308, 316 or 416.  that should be ok. 

erikpowell

Quote from: alantani on February 02, 2014, 01:04:50 AM
Quote from: erikpowell on February 01, 2014, 10:54:02 PM

wierd.  there was never a problem with the squidder sleeves.  can you take a careful look a the topmost thread and see if it has the proper spacing? 

Bula Alan, the sleeve I had that problem with wasn't a squidder, it was jig master sleeve with the first thread folded down as you described.
... just an FYI...... 

alantani

ah, ok, got it.  so you need another stainless steel fine thread jigmaster gear sleeve, right?  that i can send out.  also, the reel seat arrived in today's mail.  i will get it sent out.  i will also include some stainless steel screws of different lengths. 

MarkD

Quote from: Caranx on February 13, 2014, 04:58:56 AM
I did the same thing with my 98-60 SS sleeve and it worked. It does feel a little scary in the beginning.
I just put a dab of grease on the threads then cranked it on. Passed it back and forth a couple times, cleaned both threads and it was good to go.  Then I used another star and ran it through with ease.

Just did the same thing tonight on my 500s. I have a 10-60 star on it, went on about 2 turns and got tight. Lubed it up and worked my way down. No problems.