Penn 710Z

Started by Alto Mare, November 16, 2013, 02:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Dom (Broadway) sent me this beautiful reel, it had a broken plate screw in the housing.
I told Dom that I would give it a shot and send it back to him, but he insisted that I hold on to it, he knows how much I like these. Thanks again buddy! ;)
This one wouldn't cooperate

So it was time for a little operation ;D

I had lots of meat left at the base of the broken peace, so I drilled it and tapped it

It worked like a charm

Now, it has a stainless steel screw, better than before.
Thanks again Dom, knowing that this was your Dad's, it means a lot to me.
I will be fishing it and enjoying it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Nothing wrong with that. I will always have a soft spot for internal spool spinners, they worked forever and did my right for years, and still do today.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

harryk3616

great, a little ingenuity and your good to go , nice fix  sal

SacFly

The striped bass world record of 79lbs, which stood for over twenty years, was caught using a 710 greenie from a jetty in Atlantic City NJ.

Alto Mare

Thanks for the info, and no, I'm not surprised.
these little reels are built like tanks, well except for that screw ;D. There isn't much that could go wrong in those, very simple and well made design.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Only short coming on these was sand in the rotor cup. You know..that's why you see so many drilled out I guess. I have two that are used at the beach with no problems for twenty years now. Well that's without the dropping in the sand. A tank by all accounts.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Calusa

I have two 710z and four 716z reels. Bought them new back in 1979 and they are still in tip top shape and catching fish rgularly. My grandkids use the 716's on 5' UL rods and love them as much as I do. Classic, and bulletproof.  8)