penn 705/706 franken reel

Started by surfcaster, February 09, 2014, 02:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfcaster

HI, I Recentley built a lefty surf reel out of a perfect penn 705 greenie & a roached out green penn 706.
for cuz Mike who i fished 30 years with.new metal ,drags3 new ht 113 drags,(little thicker than ht60's)main bearing line roller bearing hardware & line roller. now works better than new.
could not find  parts online, but lucked out at a shop that does  warranty work for penn. Was going to paint but it is going to be taped to a rod ,dunked dropped in the sand & rinsed out in the surf. hosed off  when it gets home. New life to a 40year old reel.Heres a couple pics. Tight lines Richie                             

[[]http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o774/richiec72/th_mike707_zps680c842e.jpeg[/[URL=http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/richiec72/media/mike707_zps680c842e.jpeg.html]][/URL]][/]

bluefish69

Richie

I sure that you tried Surf Land in N.H. for parts or Bucko's. On Long Island we have Causeway B&T

I might come up to Eastman's again some day. I here they are doing a number on the Pollack.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

BMITCH

Surfcaster, great reel. There built like tanks. I was working on one which I van stallized. Got distracted on conventionals so I'm really glad you posted this. Now I'll get back on my project. Thanks for the photos, gives me inspiration.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

surfcaster

Hi Mike Surfland is awesome, I have a few custom rods from them, There is an old Italian guy Joe at granite state rod & reel.he fixed a bunch of my reels in the 90s but now he yells at me when i buy just parts. (So i buy cod stuff too)We went on a charter at eastmans this past fall lots of pollack cod haddock the blue sharks were robbing us towards the end of the trip.Bob, I'd like to see that reel when its done. Van staals are nice but maintenance free scares me.

BMITCH

Surfcaster, no I don't own any VS reels, a little to rich for my wallet. What I did was take a 710 greenie that was super worn and drilled out the spool and the rotor cup. Just like you see on SOL's site. I just never finished it. I hope to this spring befor the man in the pajamas shows up. Thanks for reminding me I had it.the pics sparked intrest again. I'll post pics when completed.
Bob

surfcaster

Bob,I thought you had an old 700 on here a while ago, I have a customer that owns a laser jet.that cuts /engraves. I thought about bringing him a rotor cup to see what he could do with it . Some of those reels are pretty cool.

BMITCH

Richie, I did mine by hand drill. Took a long time. Now my problem is painting. Maybe I need to get in touch with Jamie on here and see what he thinks? I'll let ya know.good luck!
Bob

surfcaster

I did a 704 soda blasted then painted with  epoxy bridge paint, it matched the penn green.came in 5 gallon kits
(on the down low at work) tough finish but,nasty toxic stuff with low flash points i dont want around my house. I am an industrial protective coating/commercial painter by trade.
I have all the tools & spray gear just currently no shop.I prefer to paint & finish drywall these days. powder coating is the way to go.