Squidder metal drag washer size

Started by Topshot, February 06, 2014, 12:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

I don't have a set of calipers yet to measure. But does anybody know the thickness of the metal drag washers.
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Bryan Young

Quote from: Topshot on February 06, 2014, 12:05:22 AM
I don't have a set of calipers yet to measure. But does anybody know the thickness of the metal drag washers.
I do, but they are at home.  I will soon come out with a 5 stack for that reel as well.  Just haven't had the chance to do a fitment yet.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Topshot

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 06, 2014, 12:34:04 AM
Quote from: Topshot on February 06, 2014, 12:05:22 AM
I do, but they are at home.  I will soon come out with a 5 stack for that reel as well.  Just haven't had the chance to do a fitment yet.

Bryan
Thanks a lot Bryan. That's what I was tryin to look at doing. I just need to go buy some calipers soon. There pretty useful
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Bryan Young

I can tell you this...the metal washers and CF washers for a 5 stack are 0.5 mm thick each.

I think Sal has done one of his squidders.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Topshot

Perfect. I'll have to order up some of ur metal washers
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

I just got some .5 sheet Chris from Wallace for my Squidder 5 stack. I already have Bryan's washers. I be cutting some this weekend. PM me your address and I'll send you a set of CF's. Wallace has a good deal on this sheet.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

The drags I'm cutting are for a Surfmaster 200. Does the squidder use the same drags?
The squidder 146 uses the 5-60 main gear and 6-60 drags, according to penn parts. The surfmaster 200 uses the same. You are working on a squidder 146? Right Chris?
Life is Good!

Topshot

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 06, 2014, 09:22:37 AM
The drags I'm cutting are for a Surfmaster 200. Does the squidder use the same drags?
The squidder 146 uses the 5-60 main gear and 6-60 drags, according to penn parts. The surfmaster 200 uses the same. You are working on a squidder 146? Right Chris?
Yup sure am
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

otghoyt

You guys are right on time.  I finished my 500s and then my 506s.  I have my 114H all over the place and now it is time for the 146 Squidmachine.  So if it motivates and inspires...I'll take a 5 plate stack please.

Bryan Young

FYI, the metal washers are the same hardened SS at 0.5 mm (0.020 in.) thick.

Unfortunately, due to the tooling, the cost per washer is $3.  If you want a complete drag set including carbontex washers, including under carbontex washers, the cost is $25.  I do have a belleville but have not done a fitment to see if there is any interference with the side plate.  I am hoping to get away from the wave spring washer if possible.

Bryan

otghoyt

Is there a concern with the .5mm plates flexing inside the gear?  I would even be happy with a 4 plate stack.  It has been my experience that with the stock brass gears the first CF drag washer likes to adhere to the gear.  A 4th plate would just keep it working the way it should on a 2 day trip.

As soon as there is any CF wear and the grease gets a little bit of CF residue mixed in, it goes to sticking to the gear.  This will happen to my 146 in one hard day of casting/yoyo and a Mexican YT limit @ less that 20# each.  That is not working that reel that hard.  I almost want to put a composite disk in the first position to keep it from freezing to the gear.  This does not happen with the SS gears in my 500s!

I use a Penn, under sleeve, nylon washer (010-060?) not a CF piece for the +1 technique.  In fact I don't care for the +1 on any of my reels.  The drag goes in the gear!  It's a multi-plate clutch design and that outside flex point really bothers me.  Some Nyloil material would really be the ticket and a couple of .005 slices under the gear sleeve would take out some of that slop as well.

What's your take?

Shark Hunter

That's a whole other topic Hoyt. There are some long threads about this.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I am excited about this stack. This gear is in the Squidders, the Surfmasters and most if not all of the 85 reels. It is also the same size as the slow Senators which are thicker so you can stuff at least 7 in there. That is a bunch of different reels.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on February 11, 2014, 01:46:20 AM
I am excited about this stack. This gear is in the Squidders, the Surfmasters and most if not all of the 85 reels. It is also the same size as the slow Senators which are thicker so you can stuff at least 7 in there. That is a bunch of different reels.
Ron
Too bad for you that most of those reels come with the thumb screw take apart feature :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.