50 size casting reel for under 200 for sharks

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, February 10, 2014, 01:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Reinaard van der Vossen

I'm not sure if I understand your needs correctly as casting and size 50 ussually conflict. If you're talking 50 lb fishing line and castability there might be several solutions.

I know of a guy who owns a Balzer adrenalin size 16 and uses it to cast dead baits to striped marlins. He recently has coucht 16 in a week or so with this reel, heaviest being 178 lb. He has chosen this one because of freespool, two speed, relatively light weight, full alu frame, lever drag and standard harness lugs if things get though. The reel has a lock down drag of about 30 lb but I don't know whether that is sustainable for long periods of time. If I recall correctly he uses 50 lb braid

The rod he uses is custom built with ringed rollers. I think 40-50 lb or 50-60 (not sure which) 

The reel is also known under other names but is in effect an Omoto S-16-II. If you look closely you will find regular auctions on ebay, sometimes for less than 100 bucks (but you need a little luck)

In fact I have such a small omoto (S-16-II) myself but use it for light trolling and not for casting. I have something like 500 meters of 65 lb powerpro and a short 65 lb topshot on it. I never thought it would be so succesfull on striped marlin.

I think it would be something that can also be used for lighter fishing and has power too if you need it. 

I have an old  topic here with some pictures.

redpaulhus

Quote from: Jeri on February 10, 2014, 05:20:46 AM
Hi Guys,

Been selling the Finnor OHC series of reels pretty much since they first came out, and over here they had a big hill to climb against pretty much market domination by Diawa Saltist. After 18 months of using one personally I wrote a review for one of our magazines, and said look out for the Diawa copy of this reel, as the Finnor was by far better – and then within 12 months we had the Saltist BG hit the market.

The Diawa faithful followed their hearts bought the BG, and then a huge up roar about the failure of the pinion gears, some folks weren't even getting 1 day of fishing before the gear failed. Diawa didn't respond well, but now 18 months after they introduced the reel, they are marketing a new version with an improved pinion gear.

What I like about the Finnor is that nearly all the components are metal, very little plastic or chromed plastic in the construction – the old Saltist had a chromed plastic lever for free spool, and they have copied th design straight across to the new BG Saltist – trouble is that after a few years this lever fails at the connection point to the shaft, and is a pain to get spares.

We have are a service centre for Finnor, and I have used very few of those spares that I bought 2 years ago, even the bearings last longer in our market, which is quite abusive.

However, I would hold onto your cash, as later this month should see the arrival on the shelves of the new Finnor Lethal, which is their upgrade version, deals with some of the very small problems that the original has, and they have upgraded the drag further as well as going over to hybrid ceramic spool bearings – had a demo model for a few days last year, and it is a dream machine, and have been busy selling all my stock of old model Finnors since – and just waiting for the end of February when the new model will be available – this is going to knock the socks off the competition. Super fast for casting, powerful drag, and built like a tank.

To answer the original question – a 'no brainer': Finnor 30 all the way, or wait for the new model. We even got sponsorship from Finnor for our International team last year, and all the guys were full of praise for these reels, and several have switched over fully to them from Diawa.

Hope that helps

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

I love my OFC16L -- its almost perfect as a codfish reel, and the 4.3:1 ratio works great.
I wish they had included a 4.3:1 version of the Lethal... how did you feel the torque was on the Lethal compared to the Offshore ?

bluefish69

Paul

I bought the OFC 20 when they first came out. What a great reel I don't get to use mine much but won't part with it. Torksman [Steve] on Fishark bought the OFC 16 & 40 he like his to but he won't be using his anymore I wish he was still here. Tell Marc that I said Hi

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Jeri

Hi Guys,

Didn't get the opportunity to pull the trial reel apart, part of the conditions of the trial. So, no wisdom on the anti-reverse system, but then I have never had a complaint about the one on the Finnors, seems to be just better made than the ones on the Diawas and other reels. As said, have a heap of spares for the OHC series reels, all the parts that I thought might give trouble – only bearings have been used to date on heavily used reels.

We pretty much only sold the 6:1 versions, as that suits all our surf fishing here in southern Africa, so can't comment on a comparison on torque when comparing with a 4.3:1 version. My wife uses the OHC 16 in the high ratio version for her surf fishing, the narrow spool is nice and balanced on a surf rod, and that is her everyday reel for fishing competitions or social – she has used it for pretty much the same 3+ years that we have been stocking these reels, and wouldn't part with it at all. It is probably or theoretically the strongest of their range, as basically it has all the same components as the size 20 or 30, all that changes is the frame and spool by width – to accommodate more line.

Basically, the Lethal is an updated version of the OHC series, it has a much faster spool speed in the cast, not that the OHC was ever slow. The drag has been improved slightly, and hopefully they have cured the porosity of the anodising – the OHC had a quality issue on that side, but that only time will tell. They have kept the principle of using the least number of plastic components, so that should make this series every bit as good in the quality department. Really can't wait to get our first shipment, so that I can get a look inside just to confirm the 'build'. Our order is already sitting with the Finnor agent in RSA, as we are nearly sold out of the OHC's.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri