SL20sh, swapped cast-control bushing with a fancy (ceramic?) bearing

Started by Joel.B, May 03, 2015, 12:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

I have a baggy with these fancy orange-shield bearings, no idea what they go to (penn 113h maybe?) but they are perfect fit for swapping the cast control bushing on my sl20sh. 

I am not sure this was a good thing to do, but I do like tossing a chovie or small swimbait as far as I can....

"Ranchero" is what they call severe backlash down in Baja, in case anybody was wondering...... pinche ranchero......

TomT

Bryan Young

Quote from: Joel.B on May 03, 2015, 12:10:24 AM
I have a baggy with these fancy orange-shield bearings, no idea what they go to (penn 113h maybe?) but they are perfect fit for swapping the cast control bushing on my sl20sh. 

I am not sure this was a good thing to do, but I do like tossing a chovie or small swimbait as far as I can....

"Ranchero" is what they call severe backlash down in Baja, in case anybody was wondering...... pinche ranchero......
They came with the Magnum 99 that I built for you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Joel,

I did a swap out of the bushings in both my SL20SH that I upgraded and on my Satlist BG20H and neither had better freespool after the change. I removed one shield on each replacement bearing, cleaned them with brake cleaner and lubed with TSI. I found in both reels that the spool shaft spun freely and did not come in contact with the inner race of either bearing. I think the bushing is there more for support of frame flex or the spool twisting a bit when under load. Granted I did not use ceramic bearings, just stainless, but I did not see any advantage after doing the swap.

Edit: Here is a thread about the swap of the bushing for bearing in my BG 20H.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9793.0

Maybe you will find better results in your reel.

Joel.B

Does the bushing "squish" a bit when tightened to provide breaking? WHen tightening the cap I seam to get more breaking earlier in the tighten process...and maybe more controlled...whereas with bearing in there I feel like I am screwing cap down farther and the breaking goes from 0-stop pretty quick.........   I dunno  ???

So this fancy ceramic jobber sure does increase free-spool vs bushing, didnt really time it but it seems pretty dramatic actually......where I am thinking maybe the bushing is actually better for of ranchero prevention.....

pretty sure these are what I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-CERAMIC-7-spool-bearings-SENATOR-113H-113H2-113H2LW-113H2SP-113HLW-113HSP-/111651200011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19feee1c0b

$27 for two, I feel kind superior now to anybody who does not have a $13.50 bearing under the cap of their sl20sh so I got that going for me......

El Guapo

also did a conversion on my sl30 and did a video clip

also no real difference in free spool really but interested to see how more steady the reel is with bearing there.. anyone notice a more stable reel during cast with less overwinds?