GETTING STARTED WITH BRAID

Started by LTM, February 14, 2014, 04:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Cut the fish into can size pieces, if you are smoking it 30 smoke for 20-30 minutes with light smoke.  Put fish into clean hot jars, put in the amount of salt you want and put the hot lids and rings on.  Put jars into a pressure cooker with about 4" of water in it and seal pressure cooker.  When the steam from the vent is coming out solid and the air is purged from the pressure cooker shut the vent, when the pressure gets to 10psi start timing, my old books say 90 min at 10+ psi, new books say 110 min, no one has died from my 90 min fish.  If the pressure drops below 10 PSI start the timing over. After the proper time has passed turn off the heat and vent the cooker.  Once the pressure is gone open the lid, take jars out and put them on a rack to cool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Lightly smoked, and plain are both good.  If you want you can try experimenting with liquids, can use water, water/soy sauce, water/ketchup maybe with a little bit of brown sugar, or oil.  There are some recipes elsewhere online, if you want specific amounts others have used.  I always wanted to try a diluted teriyaki/soy/water/brown sugar/liquid smoke combo.  You won't be dissappointed with Lee's recipe there though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

LTM

OK guys,

So, I agree with the common wisdom of using one step higher rated line for backing than the topshot to ensure strength of the connection. However, what about using say 100# solid backing with some 135# hollow transitiion braid to connect to say 100# topshot, is that considered realistic?

Leo

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

Lee,

Is the line config I just mentioned something you would do if you were on a budget with 30+ reels to spool. Im MUST be economical/frugil without sacrificing line performance as much as possible here. I NEED TO KNOW how to most effeciently (price/performance) spool up my reels. I have for the most part completed 95%+ of the mechanical parts upgrades to my reels which was a serious task thank God. Now I would like to complete this exponential performance increase that I see in these reels from the knowledge and help of all on this forum. This braid stuff (for lack of some other words) is the "LAST FRONTIER" for my reels (and my wallet). Im ordering the braid book that you mentioned Lee that I saw on Charkbait also, and doing some reading and knot practicing and finishing upgrading these last reels (for the time being) AND LEARNING ABOUT BRAID.

You comments and knowledge is appreciated as usual,

Leo

jonnou

Bump

some good info
need to read again

joel8080

Barnes & Nobel has the book for $9.99 it's pretty good.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

Hoochrip

I like the Crazy Alberto knot for braid to mono connections small and easy to tie, check out link to video.

youtu.be/J56O3CZVu7M

jonnou

will like to look But link is wrong?

Keta

Mark Twain

jonnou

looks like a good one to tie if at sea
will practice this