Daiwa sealine 450h rebuild tips and tricks

Started by stevennc, February 23, 2014, 08:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevennc

I just got this reel used and am pretty stoked on how well built it is for a simple 4/0 size reel. The drive side of the reel is built similar to newells and other reels with c clips containing the springs and parts on the bridge.

When working with the whole plate assembly I found it easy to reassemble the reel by putting assembly flat on the table with the drive facing up. Put the main gear, 4 posts, then the yoke springs and pinion in place. Lastly do the dog and spring (very easy compared to a 113h) Basically reassemble it and leave it sitting flat. Then simply put the right sideplate over it and screw the 4 screws partially in. look at the inside of the plate and make sure the jack will line up if not its an easy adjust. Then tighten it up and you are good to go. You don't have to hold the 4 screws in place upside down like a 113h , and this should be a lot quicker rebuild then a 113h. Ill take some pictures when I do it again and put in carbontex drags 

alantani

bryan has (or will soon have) a 5-stack drag kit for this reel.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

stevennc

I just read what he wrote on thread. For every reasonable / worthwhile upgrade for a reel 90% of the time it seems you or Brian has an answer for it. The other 10% of the time someone on the board posted about it.

In your opinion, what are your thoughts on the tiburon frame / spool upgrade for a 146. I know the benefits as far as spool alignment and strength, but I was wondering as far as casting lighter baits (anchovies) . I fixed up a 146 with a newell base / stock posts and gave it to my dad for fathers day (gave him a matching one with newell base / bars for xmas) . Anyways , I find the 146 to be a pretty heavy spool for aluminum, and not the best for light baits. is the tib frame / spool a bit easier on casting?

alantani

for reels this small, a frame is nice looking, but not essential at all.  the bar frame is plenty rigid enough!

the 146 is a fun little reel, particularly if you have an alumuinum spool.  the first thing i recommended is to grease all the non-exposed metal surfaces, then open, clean and lube the bearings, and then install a set of greased carbon fiber drags.  at this point, you need to step back a moment.  a penn jigmaster power handle is $20, one of my custom handles is $35, a stainless steel gear sleeve is $20, a stainless steel dog is $3, and a tiburon frame is probably around $50. you can spend ALOT of money if you are not careful.  

i finally found an entire BAG of tiburon 146 spools in the garage.  i check my records and my actual cost on them was $50 each.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I have been playing with a Baymaster and your handle seems a little to big for this little reel for me. I'm gonna go with the 29-56 on the little Penns and use your arm with a spinner handle on the Jigmasters.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"