12/0 spool anomaly

Started by Shark Hunter, December 27, 2013, 07:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I recently had an issue with a 12/0 one piece chrome spool I've never seen before. The spool was rubbing one of the edges of the reel. I took it apart several times to see where it was rubbing. I couldn't pinpoint it, but the definite ringing of the spool was evident about 1/4 of every turn. The spool is warped, but not in the traditional manner. I used the micrometer and the spool deviates less than 1 mm around its entire circumference. It is twisted in a way that the ends are not aligned with each other. I could tell when I would put the non handle side plate on and it wouldn't line up as it should. Anybody ever seen this?
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Are you saying the shaft isn't straight inside a straight spool? I can see that happening when the shaft was pressed in, but it is a new one on me.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Yes Ron,
The spool ends are not perpendicular to each other, but the spool ends measure even. Its a new one to me too. A replacement aluminum spool remedied the problem. I even tried shimming it, it didn't help.
It was rubbing the inner rings.
Life is Good!

Makule

Spool could have been dropped on one flange, causing it to distort.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

I held on to this spool. Measuring it repeatedly and even chucked it in a drill to find the imperfection. It is so slight, I am glad I held on to it. I put it in my Battle Weary 12/0 and it spun fine with no noise. There is only one very slight imperfection on the handle edge.

I took the reel back apart and put a shim on both ends. It spins fine in this old reel. I think I might have had a tweaked stand that contributed to the rubbing on a newer reel.
It is back in business! ;)

I'm still going to send you that spool for powdercoating Jamie!
Life is Good!