Help! Newbie question

Started by rtarlos1, March 04, 2014, 03:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtarlos1

Hello everyone- I am just starting to get into reel maintenence, and I thought I would start with an easy task- upgrading my drag washers in my Newell s550-4.6. I have the schematics, but it does not clearly show the double dog assembly. I am sure that this is an easy question for anyone who has taken apart a reel or two, but do the double dogs both act on the main shaft, or is it one dog on the main shaft and one on the pinion? I am going to try to attach a picture to show how I have it set up now...

Bryan Young

Quote from: rtarlos1 on March 04, 2014, 03:41:00 AM
Hello everyone- I am just starting to get into reel maintenence, and I thought I would start with an easy task- upgrading my drag washers in my Newell s550-4.6. I have the schematics, but it does not clearly show the double dog assembly. I am sure that this is an easy question for anyone who has taken apart a reel or two, but do the double dogs both act on the main shaft, or is it one dog on the main shaft and one on the pinion? I am going to try to attach a picture to show how I have it set up now...
The one on the top rotates to the right and the one on the bottom rotates to the left.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

rtarlos1

OK- Is this what you mean?

rtarlos1

Sorry- I think I got it. Both the dogs operate on the notched pinion shaft, on oposite sides, hence the name double dog. Otherwise, if they operated on two seperate shafts, they would be dual single dogs, if such a thing existed... Here is what I beleive is the correct installation- I just did not realize both springs had come loose- I thought one dog was still installed correctly...

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

It is just a little tricky when you slide the gear sleeve back down to make sure each dog is against the tension of the little spring. Once you do it you will have it. Once you get the sleeve on give it a spin and watch the dogs work. Put the cir-clip back on to lock the sleeve in place. Now put the under gear washer on and then the gear and then the drag stack.

Pretty simple but if you need more just shout.

rtarlos1

There was no c-clip to lock it in place. Does the 550 have one? I was pretty meticulous taking it apart and did not have any leftover pieces... This may have been left off by the prior owner. Can you post a picture? Do you have a source where I can buy one? I love the reel, and can't wait to try it out with the drag upgrades, but I don't want it coming apart on the boat... Thanks to everyone for the help. I'm glad I found this community!

Bryan Young

There is usally a c-clip or a screw that will secure the gear sleeve to the bridge plate.

Newell Nut

Not sure when Newell made the changed from the C clips to the screws but I sure like the models with the screws better. Anyone that has a C clip arrangement that you want to get rid of it can be done.
I recently worked on one for a friend that had the little tip broken off that holds the C Clip. I filed it smooth and then drilled and tapped a hole in the end of the post and it worked perfectly.

Bryan Young

Just looked at you pictures again. You don't have a clip but has a screw instead.

rtarlos1

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the elegant design when I see the reel apart. I'm glad everything looks good, and thanks for all the help and guidance. It is great to know that if I get into trouble, I have such great resources! Glad to have found a home here...

Newell Nut

The Newell design works great and there is not much you can do but add drag stacks to increase the power. The other options are Tibron Frames and a variety of handles. Keta makes some really nice arms and Alantani has nice knobs for the arms that I have on my 600s. For the 500 and 400 series my favorite is the Tiburon handle.

When installing the bridge system in the 550 make sure the little dog spring to the rear does not get between the bridge plate and the graphite post on the side plate. If the body screw goes in easily you do not have a problem. I am referring to the short end of the spring that rest the outside edge of the bridge plate.