Average time to overhaul a reel

Started by amoebasurgeon, February 20, 2014, 08:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Daron I'm with you on that. I don't do it professionally but when I do reels or rods for fishing buddies, it gets extra attention. No way I want my build to fail on a fish in any way for someone else. Has to be perfect.

foakes

Yeah, you guys are right --

For me, the true question is:

Since hopefully, the owner of this reel will hook the reel of their lifetime -- what is it going to take to make that reel capable of handling that task?

Plus, would I fish this reel for the fish of a lifetime?

The answer to the questions are easy -- and most of us just do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

It takes me around 1 hour for most spinning reels. It's the same for most conventional reels too. This is for common reels only. Some spinning reels like the Stella take a lot longer.

The Shimano spinners are easy and quick. 30 minutes on many of them. It's because of the way they are built.

An untouched Penn Senator will surely take an hour getting everything greased correctly. The bigger they get add a little more time.

Small lever drag reels again one hour. The offshore trolling reels 2 to 3 hours. The Shimano Tiagra is much easier to service than the Penn International. I can do the Tiagra in just over one hour sometimes two hours depending on condition.

All reels depend upon condition in how long it takes as you all know.

This is how I base my pricing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

Quote from: handi2 on September 02, 2017, 05:19:32 PM
It takes me around 1 hour for most spinning reels. It's the same for most conventional reels too. This is for common reels only. Some spinning reels like the Stella take a lot longer.

The Shimano spinners are easy and quick. 30 minutes on many of them. It's because of the way they are built.

An untouched Penn Senator will surely take an hour getting everything greased correctly. The bigger they get add a little more time.

Small lever drag reels again one hour. The offshore trolling reels 2 to 3 hours. The Shimano Tiagra is much easier to service than the Penn International. I can do the Tiagra in just over one hour sometimes two hours depending on condition.

All reels depend upon condition in how long it takes as you all know.

This is how I base my pricing.
your sand bagging,,,,,,how much  do you bench  :D

handi2

I used top bench 300lbs. Now maybe 200..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

Quote from: handi2 on September 03, 2017, 09:04:24 PM
I used top bench 300lbs. Now maybe 200..!!
:D that's a lot better than I can do,,,,,keep up the good work