I give up on working on reels.

Started by stevennc, February 23, 2014, 07:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevennc

That is a lie, but this one makes me want to bring a screwdriver with me next time I look at used reels. If I had a parts washer or ultrasonic thing this whole reel would go in there. RIP to a whole roll of paper towels.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

stevennc

It took a while to get all the grease out, but all the parts and the bridge and everything were in great shape. This reel had so much grease, it could have spent its whole life as a troller on a sailboat underway and no one would know. Really like the design of these 450h this was my first one ive worked on.

Shark Hunter

Ugh! You have to take the good with the bad Steve.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Just think...it can only get better from this one ::) ;)
luck is the residue of design.

harryk3616

better alot of grease than the reel being rusty and crusty, a little cleaning and your good to go, it wasn't a total loss.

Nuvole

I normally soak greasy parts in kerosene overnight before working on them.

Bryan Young

As the saying goes... some grease is better than no grease...and you got some grease  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Frank

Definitely overkill with the lube but I've worked on quite a few of those that were never greased since purchased. Man, they can really build up a crust.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

stevennc

The reel is a Daiwa Sealine 450h and I am really happy with the quality of the reel. I bought the reel at the Big 3 Auto Swap meet, so there is a possibility that someone took a car grease gun and pumped it up. The reel was attached to a  pole I wanted, and I almost bought just the pole without the reel for a difference of 5 dollars as I have never heard anything about the 450h and just figured it wasnt worth my time.

I couldnt have been more wrong. This reel has many things to it that makes it a really nice 4/0 sized reel. The finish is tough. the frame is one piece. The bridge has c clips and is similar to a newel to disassemble / reassemble. it is just a really nice workhouse reel. Destined for slow trolling big macs this summer on the yak

alantani

this is the type of thing that gives meaning to our lives, and adds posts to the photo of the month thread!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Frank

The Daiwa Sealine series was ahead of its time. In my area when the 50H first came out it took a big chunk out of Penn Jigmaster sales. The party boats and charter boats loved them. Some dissimilar metal issues in the beginning but it was quickly taken care of by Daiwa. I bought my first 50H for $25. Still have it.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

floating doc

Central Florida