7001i headache

Started by jay2578, March 01, 2014, 07:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay2578

Serviced a couple of my reels today, 6500 C3 was a breeze but the 7001i was a bit of a headache.
When you remove the side plate on the drive side there are bits that pop out, namely a tiny little spring, the clutch release arm and the clutch lever return spring, there's also a small spring in the line guide on the levelwind that keeps the pawl butted into the worm drive that you need to keep an eye out for.
The schematic drawing supplied is not very clear, mainly due to the fact that its about the size of a playing card and it also does not give any hint of where some of these tiny bits attach to.
I managed to figure out where they went after five minutes of sitting staring at the reel with a coffee in hand, but I would definitely advise caution if you are opening one of these reels up for the first time.
I'll try to add a pic or two tomorrow to show the parts mentioned and their positions.
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Ken_D

Hi. sounds like you did the "classic" noob error.... pulled the side plate off the brake plate, before you removed the casting lever.  Now just how did ~I~ know that.... """"Sproing""""  ;D ;D... The i reels uses 2 metric sizes.. 9 mm for the hex screw on the cast lever, and 11 mm for the handle nut.

Watch out for the clear plastic shim inside the side plate.. it likes to stay there from grease.
Next service, pull the casting lever first, and all will be well, as you gently and carefully pull the sideplate away from the brake plate.

When ready to re-assemble, do not destroy that wee little spring on the return arm. Use your fingernail or a blade to push the return arm inside the plate for re assembly.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2487    Clickable images here, just a few down. It's for a righty, but you'll get the drift in reverse. Careful for the yoke tooth to lever mesh point.

http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/7001i%20%201602.pdf

Drawing is scaleable, and twistable  to easier read. Most of this you already did, but it's good to get it on site for the next person with the same thing to do. Or for review later.

The reel is easily turned into a red iC3 later, by adding bearings to the axle bosses, and using the drag assy from a silver iC3. Or leave your 5-stack in. Drawings all over the web, and Garcia's page as well.
Boca has bearings for 99 cents each in buys of 10.   3 x 10 x 4.

jay2578

Hi Ken,
Nope, removed the casting lever first. I think perhaps the spring was already out of its seat and as I lifted the side plate it pinged fully out.
The schematic I have is the one that came with the reel, it shows the small springs but not where they attach, luckily I figured it out.
At least I know for next time though!
Serviced a rocket I bought recently, it was filthy! Think my ultrasonic bath will need a bath itself!
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Ken_D

Rodger that, Jay...Another possibility: that crud may have grabbed the post that the lever fits to, and caused things to go awry...pulling the spring and related along for the ride.  No never mind.. now that you have it aced.
Good on ya.

Ya... folks have different priorities... re: clean...My reels are fairly tidy, but you do NOT want to check out the top drawer of my desk!!! lol.