Grease suggestions please.

Started by the rockfish ninja, February 28, 2014, 05:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Hi Guys,

I can whole heartedly agree that a 6:1 is working that much harder than a 1:1 reel, and the 6:1 is more likely to have failure points before the 1:1.

However, given that we have seen considerable advances in technology, with CNC machining, etc, we end up with much closer tolerances in the build, obviously faster build times, and potentially cheaper products than the equivalent 20-30-40 years ago.

Not that I'm old enough to remember some of the prices that were paid for 1:1 reels 'back in the day', but when you compare those prices and allow for annual inflation through the years, what price would they be now, and how would that compare to one of the higher tech machines that we now have at our disposal? Also, there is the factor that back when the Senators were originally designed, the concept of a 'consumable society' wasn't even thought of – now things are made with a 'designed' shorter life span, so that you go out and buy the latest upgraded model. Cynical??? – yes, very!!!

Here in Namibia, we still see an awful lot of Penn 49 & 500 reels being used on the beach, some even with plastic (Bakerlite) spools!!!! I even get to service a few – quick job, just grease the gears and bushes – very quick and simple. But, very few would be expecting that such reels, despite their very senior years are going to perform like some of the newer technology. That is not to say the reels are wrong, people do catch fish with them, and are happy with what they are doing, which possibly is the whole point.

Think I will have to dig out my old Penn 49, and auction it, just to see what price it would be worth today? But then I would lose a lovely kite reel, loads of slow power to bring in a kite on a windy day. Horses for course.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

LTM

This is my OBJECTIVE view,

Two cars A and B:

A)    327 CID/250HP, 2Barrel carb, 2.83 rear end = RELIABILITY, LOW COST, LOW MAINTENANCE.

B)    327 CID/425HP, INJECTORS, 4.10 REAR END = PERFORMANCE, HIGHER PRICE, DEFINITE INSPECTION & MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE!

If one chooses to ABUSE/NEGLECT the performance vehicle (B) it WILL MALFUNCTION. Its that simple; I add synthetic Mobile 1 oil to my Lexus, NOT my Nissan get-around.  This does NOT mean that I dont maintain my low cost, low maintenance ANYTHING(S).

Leo

the rockfish ninja

Wow! I didn't realize my grease issue was going to spark a Senator vs Avet debate.  ::)

What everybody doesn't realize is that I use Avet reels for surf & rock fishing, where a lighter, better casting, and higher gear ratio is needed and makes a senator almost useless by comparison. I own a 113h 4/0 for heavy boat fishing (which I don't do anymore) and a 155L I've used since 1977, so I know about durability but I have to be honest, my Penns collect dust now. The weight and gear ratio alone makes them a little obsolete, that's why they're so cheap on eBay and Craigslist, but I'm from the Penn lineage and keep them ready if I want to go oldskool.

Bottom line: The right tool for the right job. ;)

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

the rockfish ninja

Well folks, this is what I've found out. After talking with the tech guy at Avet, he admitted that the grease used on their drive gear is extra thick and is one of the reasons some people feel that their reels are a little bit sluggish in cranking right out of the box. That and the design makes it a clear difference from star drag reels, I can slap the arm on my old penn in the freespool position and it will spin like hell, leverdrag reels barely budge. Apples and oranges I guess.

I relubed the gear with the grease I had and it quieted down a bit, that will work until I find a thicker type of grease.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.