Old school tuna fishing in Sweden some 70 years ago, Video

Started by Mandelstam, March 02, 2014, 04:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Janssen

Raumati01, that Canadian tuna fishing video is great. Thanks for that.

Karl, If you haven't seen it already, I'd like to recommend the book Värna Västerhavet to you. It has a particularly interesting chapter about the tuna fishing in Öresund with the big names like Mitchell Henry, Prince Edward, Zane Grey and the like all coming here to fish. I'm not sure if it is still in print, but i'm sure you can find it somewhere.

I ran into an old fellow once, who used to fish tuna there when he was a kid. They would just row out a piece and throw a herring-baited hook out there.  "Wow, you just dangled it from the boat?" I asked. "Yeah," he answered. "...and for a float we used an oil barrel..."     :o 

All this talk of tuna, their prices, depleting stocks and so on reminded me of this very compelling piece on the history of tuna fishing. It is a very perturbing essay, with a very disturbing moral:

"Today, the fish can sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars each. But just 45 years ago, big bluefin tuna were caught for fun, killed and ground into pet food..."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/from-cat-food-to-sushi-counter-the-strange-rise-of-the-bluefin-tuna-5980010/?no-ist

Big Tim

Quote from: Mandelstam on March 02, 2014, 04:41:48 PM
Found this one on the Tube. It's literally minutes from my doorstep. But the commercial fishing took care of it, no worries. Now there isn't anything tuna like except for mackerel. :(

But it's nice to see anyways, and a few nice large Senators as well.

Horse drawn wagon and steamers! Very cool

Tim

Mandelstam

Quote from: Robert Janssen on April 09, 2014, 10:57:45 PM
Raumati01, that Canadian tuna fishing video is great. Thanks for that.

Karl, If you haven't seen it already, I'd like to recommend the book Värna Västerhavet to you. It has a particularly interesting chapter about the tuna fishing in Öresund with the big names like Mitchell Henry, Prince Edward, Zane Grey and the like all coming here to fish. I'm not sure if it is still in print, but i'm sure you can find it somewhere.

I ran into an old fellow once, who used to fish tuna there when he was a kid. They would just row out a piece and throw a herring-baited hook out there.  "Wow, you just dangled it from the boat?" I asked. "Yeah," he answered. "...and for a float we used an oil barrel..."     :o 

All this talk of tuna, their prices, depleting stocks and so on reminded me of this very compelling piece on the history of tuna fishing. It is a very perturbing essay, with a very disturbing moral:

"Today, the fish can sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars each. But just 45 years ago, big bluefin tuna were caught for fun, killed and ground into pet food..."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/from-cat-food-to-sushi-counter-the-strange-rise-of-the-bluefin-tuna-5980010/?no-ist

I'll look into the book, thank you Robert for the tip!
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea