Old school tuna fishing in Sweden some 70 years ago, Video

Started by Mandelstam, March 02, 2014, 04:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

Found this one on the Tube. It's literally minutes from my doorstep. But the commercial fishing took care of it, no worries. Now there isn't anything tuna like except for mackerel. :(

But it's nice to see anyways, and a few nice large Senators as well.

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Newell Nut

I could not help but notice how oddly they were dressed for fishing in those days.
I remember a older bricklayer back in the sixties who wore a white shirt and tie while laying brick. Old School stuff.

BMITCH

Karl great video! I love how he NEEDED the cigarette to reel that fish in :-\ ;D great old video though, nice old school senators. What size do you think the reel was?
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

A pair of 10/0's Bob, the three-piece spool and didn't blow up ;)

Karl, thanks man, I really enjoy those...priceless.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mandelstam

I'm thinking to also put on my best tweed jacket if I ever get the opportunity to fish some tuna. And have the deck hand to feed me smokes.  ;D ;D
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Irish Jigger

The Irish record fish was caught in 2001.
Numerous BFT have been caught on rod and line in Ireland since then although sports fishing for them in Ireland is now banned.
These fish are the same Mediterranean stock as frequent the North Sea and Scandinavian waters.

Bob,those look like 16/0 Senators to me.

http://www.leadertec.com/Gallery/gallery_pic014.html

Mandelstam

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 02, 2014, 05:11:30 PM
The Irish record fish was caught in 2001.
Numerous BFT have been caught on rod and line in Ireland since then although sports fishing for them in Ireland is now banned.
These fish are the same Mediterranean stock as frequent the North Sea and Scandinavian waters.

Bob,those look like 16/0 Senators to me.

http://www.leadertec.com/Gallery/gallery_pic014.html

I've also heard that the tuna used to visit our waters with some frequency and it wasn't over fishing that caused their decline but a natural change in migration pattern. But somehow I don't really believe that. Ă–resund (the strait between Sweden and Denmark) is a small part of the Baltic Ocean and the commercial fishing pressure was heavy. And the fact remains, they haven't been back since the late fifties. :(

Alto Mare

Definitely a pair of 10/0's with the three-piece spool, unless Swedes have huge hands ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mandelstam

We are famous for our "toilet-lid-hands" didn't you know that Sal? ;D

There is a museum that has a fighting chair, rod and reel from one of the charter boats, I guess I have to go visit and snap some pictures... :)  

Irish Jigger

I was only guessing Sal.  ;)
I'm sure you are right as I have never handled one above 9/0 and they look huge.

ossipeter

Thanks for sharing. I hope the Tunas come back. In Nowegian, last year they caught some in a Net. http://fiskeribladetfiskaren.no/?side=101&lesmer=32889

Alto Mare

Quote from: Mandelstam on March 02, 2014, 05:56:48 PM
We are famous for our "toilet-lid-hands" didn't you know that Sal? ;D
;D ;D
There is a museum that has a fighting chair, rod and reel from one of the charter boats, I guess I have to go visit and snap some pictures... :)  
[/quote]
Please do, I always enjoy your treats ;)

Dominick

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 02, 2014, 04:56:54 PM
I could not help but notice how oddly they were dressed for fishing in those days.
I remember a older bricklayer back in the sixties who wore a white shirt and tie while laying brick. Old School stuff.
You should see Sal when he goes off to work.  Brioni suit and tie.  :D  Karl that was a cool old video.  Thanks for that.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

raumati01

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton