Reel Repair by Alan Tani

Fishing Rods => Fishing Rods => Topic started by: gstours on June 02, 2022, 06:25:50 AM

Title: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on June 02, 2022, 06:25:50 AM
As a jig rod it's one of my heavier persuasions.  I was hurried somewhat and twisted this one up last summer and never really got to test it as much as I wanted to. 
  It's suitable for 4-500 gram jigs and I used it for chunky baits as well using 2-3 pounds of lead.    See what you think.   
 Using my earlier weight of ten pounds as a standard a photo will show the rods resistant to the jig.
  United Composites makes these blanks in 4-5 sizes and seem to be very good quality.
Now I'd like to have a Zeus 3.  Is that bad? :al
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: JasonGotaProblem on June 02, 2022, 12:09:22 PM
How far is your stripper guide from the reel seat?
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: handi2 on June 02, 2022, 12:14:45 PM
I like it a lot.

All of my jigging a bottom rods are spiral wrapped
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on June 02, 2022, 03:32:15 PM
I,ll get back to you with the seat/stripper position.   In a 5.5 ft rod there is in my thoughts not much room to work with.  I think that as soon as the transition can be made the spiral rod performance is maximized. 🫣.  Double foot guides, and slickbutt may have added to the overall weight,  as my fishery is a little different than most it suits my needs.
  The Calstar Graphiter 760 L in 6 ft,(rear section bobbed 6 inches) now 5.5 ft has been a favorite of mine.   It's almost exactly the same in actual testing although the Zeus 4 is a little less diameter towards the butt.   Just saying.
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on June 02, 2022, 03:51:16 PM
Reply update.  The center of the reelseat to the face of the 16 k series guide is 14 inches.  The 3 guide transition length is 9 1/4 inches. 
  While I was criticized for adding the size 10 correction guide offset to the right to keep the incoming line centered unattended works perfectly.
  A cardboard degree wheel was used to quantify the transition but not necessary to the more skilled builder.   I wanted to copy another rod I had built earlier.
  I do like the spiral rod for jigs and getting made fun 🤩 of is now commonplace. :fish
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: steelfish on June 02, 2022, 04:23:12 PM
Quote from: gstours on June 02, 2022, 06:25:50 AMNow I'd like to have a Zeus 3.  Is that bad? :al

nothing wrong with that Gary, I havent even started with mine which is the Zeus 3 and now I want the Zeus 1 hahaha

the Zeus 3 blank feels pretty good and I think I made the right selection of blank for the intended use of mediums sized  YT, big sierras (spanish macks and King macks), leopard grouper etc but also I think the Zeus 1 will be a pretty fun jigging rod to use for lighter jigging action
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on June 02, 2022, 08:24:55 PM
Alex, I think your  xxh Trevalla was stiffer/heavier than the z3 blank,  I have the heavy trevalla and love it for lighter jigs, nice for a production rod.
  I now use a five pound weight for test comparisons jigrods,  as ten pounds just maxes out the lighter ones..
  Shown below is a 5# on the z4,  there is no soft tip. 
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: steelfish on June 02, 2022, 11:04:25 PM
Quote from: gstours on June 02, 2022, 08:24:55 PMAlex, I think your  xxh Trevalla was stiffer/heavier than the z3 blank

according to the specs your right, I liked that short XXH trevala and the only reason I sold it was to stop using factory rods, it was kind of contradictory to convince friends and other guys to get a Custom rod while I was still using factory rods  ::)  ::)  :P




Quote from: gstours on June 02, 2022, 08:24:55 PMShown below is a 5# on the z4,  there is no soft tip. 
seems that you forgot to attach the pictures of the Z5 and Z4.



the next is a Zeus 3, bouncing a #18 tackle box

** correction : it was a 18# tackle box, not 25#
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: Hardy Boy on June 03, 2022, 04:39:41 PM
Wow that loads nice !! How is the Z4 with a 25 lb lift ??


Cheers:

Todd
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: handi2 on June 03, 2022, 06:00:29 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 02, 2022, 12:09:22 PMHow far is your stripper guide from the reel seat?

It doesn't matter. It's not used for casting only bottom dropping

The spiral wrapped rods we used were from John Volmer. He sold all types of rods on the Hull Truth forum
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: JasonGotaProblem on June 03, 2022, 06:17:27 PM
I'm just curious because I can't see the reel or seat in the bend photos and the pic where i can see it, I cant gauge the length of the foregrip. Just looking for some additional context for the curvature.
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on June 03, 2022, 07:59:43 PM
In my last reply I ment/ stated 5# meaning 5 pounds on the Zeus 4.  And there is no soft tip.   The earlier pictures were shown using 10 pounds for comparing deflection in my rods. 
   Personally I like a taller than shown size 10 or 12 stripper guide to prevent line touching the fore grip wrist,  butt the Fugi 16 is the best I could do at the time.
  Placing the stripper guide farther away from your reel seat reduces the amount of room to make the spiral transition and possibly reduces the effect of the design?
   This rod is 60 inch long.   We only have ourselves to blame for not buying factory.😉
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: Cor on June 04, 2022, 07:27:34 AM
Quote from: steelfish on June 02, 2022, 04:23:12 PM
Quote from: gstours on June 02, 2022, 06:25:50 AMNow I'd like to have a Zeus 3.  Is that bad? :al

nothing wrong with that Gary, I havent even started with mine which is the Zeus 3 and now I want the Zeus 1 hahaha

the Zeus 3 blank feels pretty good and I think I made the right selection of blank for the intended use of mediums sized  YT, big sierras (spanish macks and King macks), leopard grouper etc but also I think the Zeus 1 will be a pretty fun jigging rod to use for lighter jigging action


I went and checked the specs on the United Composites website and from that would guess that the 3 or 4 would be the better blank for the type of stuff you may catch in your back yard.  ( Not that I really know)
For some years now I have been going for lighter rods, but most times I end up regretting it.   One reason is I fish with conventional reels and they just don't like casting light lures like a spinner would.

Casting may not be a factor with a jigging rod, but even so, it may not be so much fun pulling a Spanish on a light rod.

I also do not understand how a blank can be made to cast between 1 & 8 oz effectively.   I recently bought a Black Hole 10f6 blank rated 1 - 6 oz, it feels totally under powered to cast a 3 & 1/2 oz device well.   I am sure it won't break but can not see how it would cast 6 oz with such a soft tip.
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: Donnyboat on June 04, 2022, 01:52:53 PM
Ay ya steel fish, you must have steel arms, cheers don.
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on June 04, 2022, 04:23:16 PM
Mr. Hardy boy,   I will try to picture you lifting the 25# Zeus 4,  when I can.  :fish
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: Hardy Boy on June 04, 2022, 05:04:35 PM
I'd love to try it ................... mail it down or better yet I'll come up. Nice looking rods.


Cheers:

Todd
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: steelfish on June 04, 2022, 05:54:19 PM
Quote from: Donnyboat on June 04, 2022, 01:52:53 PMAy ya steel fish, you must have steel arms, cheers don.

the guys bouncing the 18# tackle box its not me, Im more Handsome  8)



Quote from: Cor on June 04, 2022, 07:27:34 AMI went and checked the specs on the United Composites website and from that would guess that the 3 or 4 would be the better blank for the type of stuff you may catch in your back yard.  ( Not that I really know)
For some years now I have been going for lighter rods, but most times I end up regretting it.  One reason is I fish with conventional reels and they just don't like casting light lures like a spinner would.

Casting may not be a factor with a jigging rod, but even so, it may not be so much fun pulling a Spanish on a light rod.

you're correct my amigo, thats why I went and bought the Zeus 3 blank, its enough sensitive and light to fight a decent 6#-8# Spanish Mack but strong enought for a 12#-20# or more Yellowtail or grouper, that blank is already on my bench waiting for its turn to work on it, that said, I normally have many plans and ideas for new fishing rods but not even half of them get the Green-light to be built, so, I just LIKE the idea of the Zeus 1 as a light jigging rod, but with my current and short future situations (family and work plus kids growing and traveling to another city to go to the University) that puts my chances to go fishing on low but not on Hold, thats when I say I "need" to sell half of my arsenal because I normally end using the same rods and reels when I find time to go fishing.

part of that is the reason I wanted to replace the Trevala XXH with the Zeus 3 blank, my factory Seeker 6ft 80lb is already replaced with a Seeker blank 120lb and so on, etc, etc
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on June 05, 2022, 03:14:58 PM
✅ ok.  By earlier demand and a better view here's the Zeus 4 with the 25# load.
  Notice the load being shared by the reelseat and  Slikbutt. 
The boat rod holder is grinning 😀 just like it should.  Homade by me. :fish
  Try this with your Fish On plastic jobbers.    :d
The blanks well distribution of the load should show you a well made specialized tool.
  Now I'm like to build a Z 3.   Time will tell. :cf
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: Cor on June 05, 2022, 06:02:29 PM
Must admit I have never had the guts to lift 25 LB on one of my rods.   Impressive!
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: El Pescador on June 05, 2022, 06:04:08 PM
Gary???

Why is the USS Maiko in the yard and NOT on the water???

There is no snow on the ground  >:D

Wayne
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on June 06, 2022, 01:44:01 AM
Just got back home recently.  Many delays.  Mow lawn, ready boat,  have nap........ :al
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: steelfish on June 07, 2022, 01:16:46 AM
Quote from: gstours on June 05, 2022, 03:14:58 PM✅ ok.  By earlier demand and a better view here's the Zeus 4 with the 25# load.
  Notice the load being shared by the reelseat and  Slikbutt. 

thats the reason some RodBuilders recommend to use a graphite reelseat and not an aluminium reelseat.

there are some documented examples of jigging rods that broke just after the reelseat, the reason was those rods had an aluminium reelseat and the curve of the blank had a dead spot there that caused the blank to break in that spot.

by the way, that graphite reelseat holding 25# lift with no reelclamp on the reel talks good about fuji quality.
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on June 07, 2022, 03:39:17 PM
Yes Fuji good 👍.  Triggered locked , loaded. :fish
  Butt I always use a lot of tight wraps of electrical tape so loosening will not occur.  Just an ounce of prevention.   >:D
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: steelfish on June 07, 2022, 03:55:44 PM
Quote from: gstours on June 07, 2022, 03:39:17 PMYes Fuji good 👍.  Triggered locked , loaded. :fish
  Butt I always use a lot of tight wraps of electrical tape so loosening will not occur.  Just an ounce of prevention.   >:D

 ;D  ;D   pretty sure thats helps a lot  ^-^
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: Cor on June 07, 2022, 07:18:30 PM
Has anyone ever seen a "Graphite" reelseat  break ander load with a fish?

I have not and nobody in this end of the woods that I know of or have heard of, uses the screws to lock it down.    Those reel holders are removed from the reel when new and never fitted again. ???
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on June 09, 2022, 02:47:02 AM
Notice.....I'm staying out of this one. :fish
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: Hardy Boy on June 09, 2022, 08:38:26 PM
That looks more than big butt worthy.

Cheers

Todd
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: jurelometer on June 10, 2022, 03:03:54 AM
Quote from: Cor on June 07, 2022, 07:18:30 PMHas anyone ever seen a "Graphite" reelseat  break ander load with a fish?

I have not and nobody in this end of the woods that I know of or have heard of, uses the screws to lock it down.    Those reel holders are removed from the reel when new and never fitted again. ???
Seen levered out brass Varmac seats back in the day, so I assume it is possible, but only in certain situations.  The rod clamp keeps a tall reel from being levered out of the reel seat, also helps if the reel is on the very wide size.    But if the reel is not so tall and not so wide, it is basically jamming straight forward against the front foot.  So kinda of hard to break. anything in the seat.

But this forward loading  can cause the reel shift a bit forward, unless there is a clamp.  I am not sold on the electrical tape approach.  Fuji offers lock rings for most reel seat sizes. If I am not using a clamp, I would  use a lock ring and no tape.  The lock ring prevents accidental loosening of the rings from vibration or whatever, and no tape to remove if I need to tighten down the seat a bit more, if it shifts forward during the fight.

I find that the shifting forward/loosening problem is most frequent with machined aluminum reel seats, as the hoods don't  flex much to accommodate the reel foot shape, making for a very small contact area in some situations.  Not to mention scratching up the foot.

I will take a Fuji over machined aluminum every time when building/rebuilding a rod.

Lots of ways to skin the cat.  YMMV.  And nice looking rod Gary,  built your way, for you.  Can't beat that.

-J
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on June 10, 2022, 03:08:28 PM
Thanks buddy,  as we share advice and thoughts many others also benefit in this forum.
   As rod building has evolved so do we as a fisher person.
Specialized components can used to get to the goal.   As mentioned the metal rod seats will not flex in the jig rod application,  and work good on the trolling rod application.    :cf
  I,m thinking about making a custom stripper guide for the next build,  higher ring, smaller ring, maybe using a 20-30 size frame and marry it to a 12 ring. 
Might be butt ugly to some,  might work great.  :d 
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: steelfish on July 05, 2022, 12:53:36 AM
Gary, is the 2nd guide a bit tilted to the right and then the transition to the left or its straight at 0* as is the striper guide?

I might go this route following the Jigstar rods Twisted sista model style on my Zeus 3, worst scenario is I didnt liked it and just re-wraped it.
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: Cor on July 05, 2022, 08:58:23 AM
Nice looking fish!

About a year ago I took a 25 lb rod, turned the tip around and angled 2 of the guides to the left to create an acid wrapped rod as an experiment.
I have it paired with a Penn Fathom FTH 25N.   I have caught a few fish on it but what I really wanted to see was how it casts.

The rod cast superbly, its only about 8ft 6 and pulls fish well.   Can't say if any better then in its old coat but most certainly I won't change it.
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on July 08, 2022, 03:28:57 AM
Sorry about being late to reply.  As my spiral rods have evolved I've been kinda doing my own experiments with the first couple of guides....   I prefer to have the stripper closer to the grip and centered atop the blank, and yes do put the second guide to the right in order to lay the line on the reel in the middle,  then make the transition to the left fairly quickly to get more of the below the blank guides their maximum ability to make the difference.
  Asap I'll post pictures of some of my work.  These rods are out on the boat currently. 
  Stay around also as I've nearly finished my custom 16 hi x 8 offset stripper guide that I mentioned earlier.   It's going to be killer...... :d
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on July 08, 2022, 02:32:21 PM
Here's a picture of the idea. Using the graduation of several guide rings to make a transition from 16mm=10mm-8mm.   Also the rings can now be horizontally offset to aid in keeping the incoming line on the spool central.
  I know it's a crazy idea,  from a crazy person. :ct
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on July 10, 2022, 05:57:00 PM
Ok, I'm back.  Anyway the pieces were added one at a time, using devcon 5 min epoxy.
  The center of the small guide has been off set, this may keep the incoming line laying in the center of the spool with almost no attention?
  This might eliminate offset on the next guide to accomplish the same thing?
The halibut with the dark side up was taken with the Zeus 4,  the white side up fish was taken on a conventional jig rod, Trevalla.   
  It's quite possible that the guides might mutate from the top to the bottom of the rod in another spiral effort.🎣
  Shimano puts the stripper quite a bit from the fore grip,  maybe for casting?  :fish
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: oldmanjoe on July 10, 2022, 08:08:17 PM
(https://alantani.com/gallery/35/17471_03_11_21_2_18_20_357471486.png)

     I like that idea that you did with that guide
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: boon on July 10, 2022, 11:22:52 PM
Does it make much difference though, I wonder? On the stripper the line is pretty constrained by the next guide and the reel anyway, I suspect the variance in angle from that guide is basically the same regardless of the size. It's not like it has to deal with loops coming off a spinning reel.
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on July 11, 2022, 02:24:36 AM
Tanks mr. Boon,  thi idea has several components, one is to center for oncoming line, and with a 12- 16+ size ring it must be in an exaggerated position to the offset to allow the larger diameter ring to work as an equivalent.....
  Also I. In desire of a taller guide coming off the reel than a standard 8-10 casting guide hence the development.     
   Anyway it's at almost no cost if a person has the components anyway.....🎣
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: JasonGotaProblem on July 11, 2022, 02:47:22 PM
Very interesting idea. I'll admit that I didn't quite get what you were planning when you first previewed the idea. But I love what you came up with. I feel like taller double foot guides are the next wave of products fuji should release. They've got a size 30 KW in 2 different heights. Why not a size 16?
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: steelfish on July 11, 2022, 05:01:53 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 11, 2022, 02:47:22 PMThey've got a size 30 KW in 2 different heights. Why not a size 16?

maybe not in KW guide, but fuji already has the same model Gary is using on a 16M and even 12M , which are taller than normal 16 and 12, maybe not as taller as the 20 but mostly depends on what you are trying to achieve without re-inventing the wheel.

Gary is a mad-scientist  (with all due respect) so, I  try to see what hes trying to get from them, looks like NZ rod builders just got the desired line path to the reel adding a second bumper guide in the same straight 0* axis or bit 5*axis and USA builders skipped this line path problem and just build the spiral wrap on a revolver style (with some degrees more o less depending on the rod builder), other wanted those same results as Gary just installing the stripper guide on a 5* axis and then the rest of the guides spiraled to the left.
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on July 12, 2022, 03:53:54 AM
Alex, and all.  Notice that the height of the guide is the basis, and the small ring will now keep the incoming line at the bottom I/4 left of center.  This is closer to the center of the guide Than if it guide was a 12-16 size as you remember the incoming line of the spiral wrap is forced to the lower 1/4 side and not centered as assumed on a conventional rod.   
  The smaller the guide in this application will help keep the incoming line centered on the reel if its kept level.  When reeling in a fish with much side load on the rod the line always follows the loading some.
  Lastly I did slightly make the smaller guide offset in the parent guide some .  This might not be a measure able benefit,  butt I could.   
  I'm planning a Zeus 3 spiral 🌀 eventually.   Stay tuned. :d 
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: steelfish on October 14, 2022, 06:15:03 PM
Quote from: steelfish on July 05, 2022, 12:53:36 AMGary, is the 2nd guide a bit tilted to the right and then the transition to the left or its straight at 0* as is the striper guide?

I might go this route following the Jigstar rods Twisted sista model style on my Zeus 3, worst scenario is I didnt liked it and just re-wraped it.


already on the works with the Zeus 3 Gary, just in case you want to check the deflection tests, I will make one with 5#, but as you already noticed, this blanks are not tipped
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=35112.new#new
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on October 20, 2022, 02:08:52 AM
In my first z4 the first guide was centered on the rod.  Butt the large diameter of its ring was deminished to half size by inserting a smaller size into it and epoxy it ,  it was centered in the tall first guide.
  My findings are that by offsetting the smaller insert guide towards the direction you need to keep the oncoming line in the center of the reel is andwantagous, ..
New word, ?  Maybe not. .
 We want everything we can get, right?   :ct
   My z4 does that well.  But I'm waiting to do a few things different on next year's z3.  Let's learn as we do and have fun in the mean while,   Eating fish 🐠
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: sabaman1 on October 20, 2022, 06:28:45 AM
Gary, should the guides spiral left or right on a right handed reeling conventional acid wrapped rod?
Title: Re: Zeus 4 findings.
Post by: gstours on October 20, 2022, 04:49:46 PM
It might have to be up to your preference actually,  as how you mending the incoming line.  Some people prefer to push it over one way than the other.
  Just my humble opinion.  My transition guides rotate to the left with a right hand reel.   
 Also some spiral 🌀 wrap rods might just lay the line to one side of the spool 🧵, more than desired,  this might be adjusted/remedied by moving the center of the first guide,  in my opinion.   I,m not an expert, nor can I just leave anything alone. :al  :fish