Hi every one, I hope your all keeping well, a mate of mine, gave me a Olympic reel, the ID disc is missing, but he tells me it is a 750, the front bearing or bush is a bit grouly & stiff, I have tried to get the reel apart, I took the side plate of, found a couple of nuts on the tail end of the main shaft, I undone them, thinking that the shaft would slide out the front, but, the shaft that I have removed the nuts from, there is a alloy cast that the shaft may thread through, near the osculating disc, I think the thread may screw through the cast alloy, I beleive if I get that undone the shaft will slide out the front, but I am reluctant to try & undo it, as if, I place to much force on the cast alloy, it will snap like a carrot, has anyone had anything to do with this model reel, that could give my some guidance, cheers Don.
A few pictures may help, Don....I know you have troubles posting pix, but, can you e mail them , to me ? I could post them for you.
yes thanks Arlyn, I will do that, cheers Don.
Here ya' go !
Can you determine...maybe by probing with a chunk of wire?...if the hole in the "casting" is round/ Or does it have "flat sides". If 'round (a gap between the flats on the shaft, and the edge of the hole),it IS possible that the shaft is "treaded" into the casting, and that the nut (s) were acting as "jam nuts", to stop the shaft from "un threading" from the casting. But, if the hole has "flats" that would match up to the flats on the shaft (which I *think* is the case...the shaft is just 'pushed through" the casting, and the nut(s) would be to adjust the "throw" on the shaft...which would adjust the "lay" of the line, on the spool. Can you see if there Is there a nut, or nuts, on the FRONT side of the casting ...or, if the shaft is a larger diameter, on the front side ?
Ay thanks Arlyn, for posting the photos, I managed to get the shaft out, I just pulled it out, it was a very tight fit, felt like it was rasping thread, as it came out, the bearing was really rough, so I brought a new one, its not SS, but has sheilds on it so if I place plenty of marine grease around it, & service it often then it should be okay, it is a nice strong reel, a bit heavy maybe, but that depends on the balance of the rod, I will give another report when I get it back together, thanks again, & yes the two lock nuts may have something to do with the adjustment of the stroke, cheers Don.
Glad you got it sorted out, Don. Looks good !
Yes thanks again Arlyn, as we all can see, I ran the line through a wet sponge, from one reel to another till I was able to get it back onto the spool the oppersate way, so the bleached line is on the inside, & the bright end on the outside, came up like new, but as we can see, the line lay on the spool was`nt even, I wanted to place one of the locking nuts on the inside of alloy part, for adjustment, but the thread would not come through far enough to get the second nut on, so I had to go back the the original, then I place a couple of delrin washers behind the spool, about 3 to 4 mm thick, in total, then the line lay came on even, so I am very happy with it now, sorry I did not measure the two bearings inside the handle left & right, the main bearing that I replaced is a NSK6901 NS 75 71107, if that ever helps anyone, also the drag had plenty of metal washer in it, including two eared washers, but only two delrin washers, so I manage to place 3 more delrin washers in between, & still get the retaining clip on, so there is plenty of drag now, so that somes it up, once again Arlyn, thank for your help, I will get some paint on the handle. also the reel I used to transfer the line with is a Daiwa 7000C, this spool on the olympic is much larger, cheers Don.