Been awhile..

Started by Sharkin904, April 28, 2021, 01:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

I'm not sure I'm posting this in the correct spot, hopefully I am. As stated, it's been awhile since I've tinkerd on reels, wife, kids, work, kinda took over. I have an offshore trip with a captain friend of mine in July and he's allllll about new tackle. I want to show him what an old senator can do lol. Either a 4/0 or a 6/0. Are the hex drag inserts still a thing? I had some in a 9/0 I sold (and regret) and they were phenomenal. Most of the old posts I find about them are years old and quiet by now. Hoping to breathe new life into one and show the guys what they can (still) do!

happyhooker

Greetings, from Minnesota.  There are lots of folks on this site who are all about classic tackle, and I would guess your questions will be answered shortly.

Frank

RowdyW

You might want to try Bryans 7+1 drag kits for a 4/0 or 6/0 which are available from Mystic Parts. But I use a delrin under gear washer instead of Bryan's drag washer. You will gain between 10 &15 lbs. more drag over the original 5 washer CF setup.      Rudy

Sharkin904

That sounds good, I was just looking at those. For reference, last time I was building it was still pennparts.com LOL

I'm leaning towards a 6/0 at the moment. Searching my local for sale pages for
one.

otghoyt

I was lucky enough to get one from Handi last year and I was begging for a long time.  On Sal's build using this gearset.  I may be mistaken but I understood.... Black Pearl said they were a one time deal but could be interested in another batch if the pre sell warranted it.

Since 3 sevens is no mas...I would take 5  hex drag gearsets for the 114HS.

JoseCuervo

Where and what is the intended game?

I have several [dozen] Penns, and have not been outfished yet, and would never sell the brand short.

:)

Brewcrafter

Sharkin904 - You are correct and there is no doubt "vintage" stuff can be made first rate (or better!) compared to todays gear.  There is another recent thread with Rudy's reels and mechanically I would have no hesitation putting them up against anything a new reel is designed for - except they are so doggone good looking I would seriously be afraid to fish one!  :D  BUT...beware the rabbit hole.  That 7 drag stack that Rudy mentioned is awesome (I have them in my hotrods) BUT...my old reels also have stainless steel sleeves, frames, and a host of other components to support the build.  You can very quickly end up with $400 sunk into a 113H or 114H - and you have a VERY COOL 113H or 114H that is capable of a lot more than it was ever designed for - or you can put that money towards a modern 2 speed lever drag that will give you additional capabilities as well for about the same money.  There is no "right" or "wrong" answer - heck I go both ways and on my trips there is always a mixture of new and old - the important thing is to get out there and have fun - myself and the folks on the forum are going to support you either way and I hope we get some good fishing stories out of it! - john

Bill B

904-  I too like the old gear, but there is something to the new gear that is beneficial....like 2 speeds.....with that said, Im taking my first long range in June and will be taking a mixture of old, upgraded, and new..... a stock 112H, Baja Special, Tiburon (Jigmaster) P21XN, Fathom 25NLD2, and a Fathom 40NLD2.  Heck i even took my Nep-Tuna 349HC on a couple trips.  Whatever you decide to take with you, do a service and have confidence in your gear.  Stainless gear sleeves, handle upgrades, and carbon fiber will add a lot to the old workhorses. Penn Senators and Jigmasters have been catching fish since 1938 and still put fish on the deck, and will continue long after the newest coffee grinder has died and been tossed into the bone pile.

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Sharkin904

Quote from: JoseCuervo on April 28, 2021, 03:37:52 AM
Where and what is the intended game?

I have several [dozen] Penns, and have not been outfished yet, and would never sell the brand short.

:)

North Florida (Saint Augustine), and just whatever is on the bottom. Last time we went we had good luck with grouper.

Sharkin904

I'm fortunate to have a much healthier budget this time around, just something about breathing new life into the old school Penn's that I (we) love lol. I've got newer tackle, but I typically gravitate to the old school/new school mix. Maybe because I grew up fishing with my Gramps who only
Uses Penn's.

As of now, I'm planning on a 114H, Cortez side plates, tiburon frame, new handle, SS gears/sleeve, 7+1, and dd. Either red or silver as that's the only frame/side plate combo available in stock that matches. Will be my first time swapping the side plates so I'm excited for that.

Wompus Cat

Should be a KILLER BUILD .
Get A MAXED OUT Hand Made Foam Knob and you will be good to go .
Best Grip I EVER Used wet,Hot ,Cold absolutely a Joy to hold !!

I just built a 114 like you are contemplating .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Sharkin904

Quote from: Wompus Cat on April 29, 2021, 01:22:15 AM
Should be a KILLER BUILD .
Get A MAXED OUT Hand Made Foam Knob and you will be good to go .
Best Grip I EVER Used wet,Hot ,Cold absolutely a Joy to hold !!

I just built a 114 like you are contemplating .

Love it! Looks great, I'll have to check that handle out, I like the foam grip a lot

Wompus Cat

This Grip Ted (MAXED OUT)  Hand Makes is incredible and no one has anything Comparable .
I have Carpal syndrome in both hands and arthritis as well and these just are a miracle feel .
There are certainly some Great knobs here and elsewhere but these are a Step above any I have.
Let me know if you have any trouble doing the Double Dogs on yours  .
Ted helped me with mine as well as a post from the Great Late Sal showing
the way to make springs to work on the second pawl and how to modify the older side-plates to  accept a second dog .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him