Abu 4600C3 right cap bearing removal

Started by Tawakoni Terror, March 05, 2014, 07:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tawakoni Terror

I am trying to got thru the tutorials but have not seen how to remove the roller bearing.

Any suggestions?

Tks again

jay2578

Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Tawakoni Terror

Quote from: jay2578 on March 05, 2014, 08:03:28 PM
IAR bearing?

Please have patience with this old man trying to learn a new skill. I believe so it a roller bearing in the right cap not a ball bearing.

Ken_D

Before you remove, best to make sure you have a replacement.
One way to remove/replace the IAR*:     http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1654.0 Mike's reel sells an impact tool to do this.   http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/bearing-extractor-installer-p-114106.html
I use a dedicated custom removal tool. I hope to have pics in the near future.

*instant anti-reverse, needle brg, not a roller.

jay2578

Quote from: Tawakoni Terror on March 05, 2014, 08:09:31 PM
Quote from: jay2578 on March 05, 2014, 08:03:28 PM
IAR bearing?

Please have patience with this old man trying to learn a new skill. I believe so it a roller bearing in the right cap not a ball bearing.

Does it need replacing?
If you are just trying to clean it, it can be cleaned with a q-tip and your choice of degreaser, moving round and round the opening to get the rollers moving.
Keep cleaning until the q-tip comes out clean.
If you are removing for some other reason make sure you have the replacement as Ken says, removal will likely mangle it
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Ken_D

Fill yer boots.... ;D ;D  This tutorial covers most palming reel situations. http://www.stripersonline.com/t/655594/abu-ultracast-how-to-restore-a-dead-reel

Prefessa

KEN!!! This tutorial shows that there may be hope for an IAR bearing....they pull the rollers out (How they do that???) and give it a good clean, make sure the pins are rust free...and yes its back to life!!!

This reel is in the same shape my Post Hurricane Sandy Reel was!!

Will a Bodkin serve to remove the pins?? What is the process??

Tawakoni Terror

Thank guys!! Does not need replacing but while have it apart I thought I would ask. From the sound of things its not an easy exercise.  All advise taken.

Ken_D

Quote from: Prefessa on March 05, 2014, 10:08:33 PM
KEN!!! This tutorial shows that there may be hope for an IAR bearing....they pull the rollers out (How they do that???) and give it a good clean, make sure the pins are rust free...and yes its back to life!!!

This reel is in the same shape my Post Hurricane Sandy Reel was!!

Will a Bodkin serve to remove the pins?? What is the process??

At approx 5.00 each at Motion Industries for a new one, with minimum wage in most jurisdictions at about 10.00 an hour, and taking about 20 minutes to rebuild a dead IAR, I'd put a new one in, and then experiment on the old one. It's a tonne easier to deal with the IAR, when it's out of the reel. 

I take it you don't have a hobby set of "dental picks", for about 4.00 the set of 3?

Prefessa

Ken:

Once again a wealth of info. If you don't mind can you pass on info as to what bearing to purchase?? I googled Motion Industries and there are 3 in NJ with the one in Kenilworth just 3 exits north of me ( remember from SNL we folks from NJ always ask "what exit").

They have a mind boggling selection of needle clutch bearings which is what I need I think.  I should be able to pick one up OTC.

And yes....this is a case where the dental pick would be a proper tool. Have to pick up a set at the next flea market they are a mainstay in every one I have attended.

Ken_D

Quote from: Prefessa on March 06, 2014, 04:41:32 AM
Ken:

Once again a wealth of info. If you don't mind can you pass on info as to what bearing to purchase?? I googled Motion Industries and there are 3 in NJ with the one in Kenilworth just 3 exits north of me ( remember from SNL we folks from NJ always ask "what exit").

They have a mind boggling selection of needle clutch bearings which is what I need I think.  I should be able to pick one up OTC.

And yes....this is a case where the dental pick would be a proper tool. Have to pick up a set at the next flea market they are a mainstay in every one I have attended.

As to which one, just pull the INA number off the IAR brg in your reel.....it may be a Z number in their system. Or it may now have gone to a stocked part. Or it may have totally gone away, unsure.  No Motion in BC. Just INA Canada, who only sells to business, not small potatoes.  

The hobby picks are invaluable in reelwork, from pulling 0-rings, to pulling shims, and bearing shields, installing springs, yada.   My daughter and son inlaw are in So. Seaville NJ.

Prefessa

Ken:

Perusal with a 50X Microscope....The bearing said....GERMANY and F-223251

What now??

Ken_D

Quote from: Prefessa on March 06, 2014, 06:59:56 PM
Ken:

Perusal with a 50X Microscope....The bearing said....GERMANY and F-223251

What now??

Contact Motion, and indicate you want the one way clutch brg, INA F-223251, from Schaeffler, in Germany. Abu does not sell this brg. seperate for the round reel collection, BCX, Kalex, or D5's.  If they refuse to sell you, visit the Schlaeffler web page, and see where you may get them.

I just get mine from the place that folks here love to hate, Mike's Reel.   McMaster-Carr may stock them, if Motion does not.

Zebco-Qunatum does, in some of their no longer made "Iron" series of reels.  Open the drawing for the IR410CX..its part 75 I think...been a while since I did Quantums.

50 X microscpoe, LOL.....Actually, if you do not have one yet, add a 10X / 15 X jeweller's loupe to your tool crib. They run about 5.00 more or less. Now that the world has the internet, it's a breeze to shop anywhere, for any quality level. Mine's a cheapo plastic jobbie, but it magnifies fine.

Prefessa

I see I got to up my game now that I am hotrodding Abus...

Back in the days of Penn...the wrench that came in the blue n white box with the metal edges was all I needed

Then Newells came along and I added a Spinfisher 700 series wrench....and of course before Cals and Shimano.....The manadatory "Supository" of Newell Sea Guard for drags....Carl was ahead of his time...RIP!

Now its time to up my game...