Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 22, 2016, 06:51:32 AM

Great to see your collection. I have a feeling you and Ben Wright (RIP) must have crossed paths. Very impressive collection and the fact that they are all ready to fish is the best part. I serviced a made in China Penn 650SSm last week, the difference between the Chinese copy of the American reel can be felt as soon as you pick up the reel. Nothing like the older American and European spinners.

Yes, Mike, Ben was single handedly responsible for my deep obsession and knowledge of open face spinning reels. We got very close the last few years of his life. He was a great mentor and friend. I miss him and our near daily conversations a lot.

Donnyboat,
Lacquer thinner, for the internal metal parts, is straight out of the can. I use a glass container with a lid to reduce the fumes as you can get kind of sick or high if you smell too much of that stuff. It's pretty volatile, my wife doesn't like it much but tolerates it in the house as long as I keep the smell minimal. I've never had a problem with it eating at the nylon parts but I have left sealed bearings in it too long and had to unseal & repack them, so I limit their soaks to a half hour max. Below's an example of the Original Multi-Purpose Goop I use. No pumice, as the pumice will scratch surfaces. After I scour the Goop with a medium stiff bristled small glue or artist type brush I rinse them under straight water and toss them into a small plastic tub with warm water and a couple drops of Dawn dish washing detergent and lightly brush them to remove any possible Goop residue or missed dirt and rinse. I towel dry those parts thoroughly but I'm not under the gun to get a reel done so I let everything air dry at least over night before I put the reel back together. Dull or UV discolored plastic parts get polished with Meguiar's PlastX if they are really discolored. I use Plaskolite Cleaner to bring any exterior plastic parts back to near their original shine.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Donnyboat

Good thanks Tommy, when we are new in this game, all details help, thanks mate, cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat

Penn Chronology

QuoteYes, Mike, Ben was single handedly responsible for my deep obsession and knowledge of open face spinning reels. We got very close the last few years of his life. He was a great mentor and friend. I miss him and our near daily conversations a lot.

Because of the level you have brought your collection to, I assumed you knew Mr. Wright. I understand why you miss him, he was a major loss to many collectors; but, his contributions will live on in his name forever, especially when a collector like you carry's on his gifts to us all.

Now, let me change the subject for a bit. I have been looking for a particular spinning reel for many years. Hoping you have one for sale, I know that is a long shot; but, it is nice to hope from time to time. If not, are you familiar with it. I have been told it is such a close copy of the Mitchell 300 that it is actually considered a counterfeit rather than a copy.

Any info about this reel I find interesting.

Thanks

Midway Tommy

I know of it, but I've never held one in my hand. I know they're a copy of the 3rd/4th version Mitchell, depending on who's version numbers one goes by, which, BTW, was their last half bail, 1948 - 52. Mitchell's full bail came out in '52. It was green, rather than black like the Mitchell so it really shouldn't by any means be considered a counterfeit, and was distributed in the mid/late '50s. I didn't realize it was made "exclusively" for OC. It very well may have been made by Olympic. Olympic manufactured numerous copies of popular reels such as the Alcedo Micron, 2CS, Cargem Mignon 33, etc., during that era. You don't see them very often, the Mitchell collectors and Japanese collectors like to display them in their collections. Here's a great photo of one in pretty nice condition:

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Penn Chronology

Very impressive Daron. Soon it will be time to open the museum!

MY best to you and yours for the holidays.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI know of it, but I've never held one in my hand. I know they're a copy of the 3rd/4th version Mitchell, depending on who's version numbers one goes by, which, BTW, was their last half bail, 1948 - 52. Mitchell's full bail came out in '52. It was green, rather than black like the Mitchell so it really shouldn't by any means be considered a counterfeit, and was distributed in the mid/late '50s. I didn't realize it was made "exclusively" for OC. It very well may have been made by Olympic. Olympic manufactured numerous copies of popular reels such as the Alcedo Micron, 2CS, Cargem Mignon 33, etc., during that era. You don't see them very often, the Mitchell collectors and Japanese collectors like to display them in their collections.

The info I have on the reel is that it was made in 1953. It was painted dark green when it was made for Ocean City, there was only one single production run and it was a exact structural copy of the Mitchell Series 3. It was manufactured by Ueno Seiko. In 1954, Ocean City introduced their own Model 300 and had no more of these International 100's made.

In 1954, Ueno Seiko, sold this copy under it own brand name the Olympic 81, painted black and I believe in a full bail version. This is the same company that makes Seiko watches, except this is another division.

I would love to add one of these to my collection. I have never seen one for sale.

Midway Tommy

Yeah, I remember doing a bunch of that research on Olympic and connecting most of their dots earlier this year.   http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18625&p=83868&hilit=Ueno+Seiko#p83868 I just never think of Olympic as Ueno Seiko since most of their US known tackle was sold under the Olympic name. The Olympic 81 was thought by many to be circa early '60s since the Olympic Tackle Co wasn't established until 1958 and the company name wasn't changed to Olympic until 1961.    

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Benni3

New member here,,, i got in to Penn reels 2yr ago and I know I got a problem  :-[  wow you guys got so nice stuff

Bill B

Welcome Ben......your collection is outstanding in its self......What are you fishing for and what part of the world do you live in?    Bill, Sacramento Delta
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Ben --

You have a nice selection of older Penns --

Good collecting!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Big Tim

Welcome Ben to the dark side  ;D nice grip of gear Ben.

Big Tim

Benni3

Thanks guys ,,I'm from salem va, near  va tech I fish trout,smallmouth,striper like to hit the salt when I can

oc1

Nice green peerless there Ben.

Tommy, as a teenager the old man next door gave me a wide jigmaster-size Olympic that he had picked up cheap in Japan but never used.  It had a lot of ornate embossing on the side plates.  I always wished it was a Penn but that's what I had to work with.  However, the reel took a lot of abuse and caught some nice tarpon.  Is there any information out there on Olympic's  Penn knock-offs?
-steve

Alto Mare

Welcome Ben, nice collection.
I feel as I've met you before :).
Enjoy it here!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!