Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

Yup ! definetely some nice stuff !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Penn Chronology

Quoteooking forward to the Ocean City  book Mike !  I want an early copy signed by you. Nice little OC display to !! 
John Taylor

I owe you a little favor. There is one with your name on it. Coming soon, here's a preview.

Penn Chronology

QuoteYeah, I've slipped off the wagon a bit and am checking myself back into rehab immediately.  I knew it was time to take action when this thing arrived in the mail.

Hang on to that OC 300 Steve. There is an entire chapter in my new book dedicated to OC Spinning Reels and the 300 is the main character. There are actually four versions of the 300. The one you have is an early model.

Penn Chronology

QuoteWow.  OC made tube reels too (second from the end on left and right on lower shelf).
-steve

Yes they did and I believe it was a share of technology with Meisselbach. The OC tube style bait casting reel was named the "E Z 2 Part". Both the head plate and tail plate screwed out of the tube. Very cool little reel from the 1920's. Extremely high quality. In the photo, Ocean City "E Z 2 Part" on the right, Miesselbach "Tripart" on the left. There are difference but the concept is shared.

oc1

Thank you Mike.  Did the EZ2 Part come with a freespool clutch?

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 03, 2019, 05:58:04 AMthe concept is shared.
After Horton bought out Meek they made some tube reels too.  The Simplex and Blue Grass.  A little smaller than the Meisselbach but as good or better quality

I bought the OC 300 because it was very affordable and I figured the value would increase ten-fold after your book comes out.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteThank you Mike.  Did the EZ2 Part come with a freespool clutch?

No. Just a clicker button. You would not believe how heavy it is for a small reel. Built like a tank.

QuoteI bought the OC 300 because it was very affordable and I figured the value would increase ten-fold after your book comes out.

One can always hope.

oc1

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 03, 2019, 06:13:20 AM
You would not believe how heavy it is for a small reel. Built like a tank.
Yeah.  I think there are some inherent advantages in the tube reel.  They are unlikely to twist or torque when dropped compared to a posts and stand reel.  For the maker, it is easier to get near-perfect alignment.  The weakness may be those very fine threads on the tube and sides.  It is easy to cross-thread them and some have reverse threads that can bind if tightened too much.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteYeah.  I think there are some inherent advantages in the tube reel.  They are unlikely to twist or torque when dropped compared to a posts and stand reel.  For the maker, it is easier to get near-perfect alignment.  The weakness may be those very fine threads on the tube and sides.  It is easy to cross-thread them and some have reverse threads that can bind if tightened too much.
-steve

No reverse thread on a Meisselbach or an Ocean City but they were built differently. The Meisselbach has threaded collars that hole the plates in place (reel on the left), the OC plates thread right into the tube. Being that they are both solid frames, they resist torque stresses to a very high degree. over time or with any damage, the breakdown of the reels do become problematic. They are pure early 20th century concept that was dropped very soon after the 1920's.

oc1

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 03, 2019, 06:38:18 AM
They are pure early 20th century concept that was dropped very soon after the 1920's.
I wonder if the concept was dropped because there is so much cutting waste.  You start with an expensive piece of heavy tubing then about 90% of it is cut out and thrown away or recycled.
-steve

54bullseye

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 03, 2019, 05:43:00 AM
Quoteooking forward to the Ocean City  book Mike !  I want an early copy signed by you. Nice little OC display to !! 
John Taylor

I owe you a little favor. There is one with your name on it. Coming soon, here's a preview.

Sweet !!!   John Taylor

Alto Mare

Quote from: 54bullseye on November 03, 2019, 09:47:20 AM
Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 03, 2019, 05:43:00 AM
John Taylor

Sweet !!!   John Taylor
Hello Mike, please reserve a copy for me as well.
As John has mentioned, I would also like an early copy sig.ne as you did the Penn for me.

Let me know if I need to submit payment at this time and where to send you.
Thank you for your hard work, I'm sure I speak for all.
We are so lucky having you.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Ay Sal, that sounds like the gold kettle, calling the gold pot, valuable, nice to see you here again, and sounding positive, great, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tightlines667

I can't believe the OC book is almost here.

Have been looking forward to it for quite some time now.

Let us know when we can get copies.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

yep- I'm in for a signed one to add to the collection!

John