665H pinion bushing...

Started by bnz, March 09, 2014, 11:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnz

Began to clean a friend's 665H Wide last night only to find that the pinion bushing somehow got jammed and twisted into the pinion gear...

Any suggestions?  Will I need to replace bushing and pinion gear?

alantani

as long as the pinion gear stays centered, it should not matter.  does it actually still work?  or does the plate jam along the spool shaft and not move back and forth properly?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bnz

Thanks for the reply Alan.  As far as the spool turning that appears to be fine.  The other isssue with this reel is that the tension cam is stuck, thus the reel has no drag.  I will see if I can get that unstuck and operating again.  If that works I won't worry about the pinion bushing then.

alantani

any possibility that you have spectra that is slipping on the spool?

bnz

There is braid on the spool but I have no idea what this one has been through or if it is slipping.  The drag lever has no tension when you move it forward (very unlike the steep ramp up Accurates have), it is just loose.  I am unable to unscrew the cam tensioner by hand to adjust.

alantani

i'll bet the threads are shot.  the whole thing as to come apart.  it must be a mess!!!!!

bnz

I'll post up pics of my findings once I get to it tomorrow.

bnz

Okay, so I was able to get the reel cleaned, greased, drag fixed, etc.   I think I'm going to have to replace the pinion gear and pinion bushing however.  When I attach the spool assembly to the side plate everything works properly.  I get free spool and can adjust the drag.  As soon as I place the frame sub assembly on I loose all freespool.  I think the way the pinion bushing is jammed into the pinion gear it is creating too much tension on the drag. :(