TUTORIAL: Okuma CLX-300L

Started by Bryan Young, June 15, 2010, 06:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

This is my first posting of a reel rebuild, so please hang in there.

You can get the schematics at http://schematics.okumafishing.com/CLX300L.PDF

This reel holds about 300 yards of 25# mono.  A good looking reel for those who need line guides as not all are comfortable guiding the line on the reel, so this should help.

As you can see, it's a complete graphite frame and side plates reel beautifully accented with gold screws and a gold anodized aluminum handle arm..  The reel foot is made from stamped stainless steel.  And, the next thing I noticed was the drain holes in the side plates.  That's a cool feature especially if your reel gets dunked once and a while, like some kayakers.

Based on Alan's recommendation, I removed line so that the line guide is at the far right so that after the reel is complete and put back together, I will be able to locate the proper position of the line with respect to the line guide.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Then, I removed the left side plate.  Noticed that the reel is using a brass bushing.  Benefit for those who don't take really good care of their reels or one that gets dunked.  Well greased with a light clear grease.  Nothing to service at this time as this reel will be used on a boat and shouldn't get dunked.

Left side spool and line guide gear, also well greased.  No service needed at this time.  Then back installs the left side plate

Remove the handle nut retainer and the handle nut with a 10 mm wrench.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Make note of the washer orientation.  Then remove the star

With the star removed.

Now let's flip the reel to the other side.  Hmm, a cover (holded plate) versus a plate.  That's interesting.  I though about the cover vs. a plate like most reels, then it dawned on me, hey, this thing probably protects the gear and drags from getting overly wet when washed.  After thinking about it, I though it was a great idea.

Bryan Young

Then remove the cover by removing the 3 screws.  The cover also provides support for the gear sleeve and gear shaft similar to reels provided with a other reels.  This one is secured to the holded plate by a screw.  Now this looks familiar.

So I remove the gears and drags.  The drags appear to be a black Teflon or something smooth.  I replaced those with greased carbon drag washers.  Sorry, I completely forgot to measure them, and one under the gear had to be grounded down to reduce the OD of the washer.

Here goes the washer restacking.  First, the gear washer.

Bryan Young

Gear with the first drag washer installed.  Notice this drag washer has the a larger ID than the other drag washers to clear the hub

Then the key washer

Then another drag washer followed by the ear washer.  Notice the tabs are bent?  The bent ears goes downwards.

Bryan Young

Then the next drag washer followed by the last keyed washer.

Note, all carbon drag washers were greased with Cal's grease.

Then greased the gear sleeve with a mix of Cal's grease that was left behind from the installion of the drags and blue marine grease because Cal's grease was on the sleeve from installing the drags, and my brush has blue marine grease.

Next was the beveled drag spring washer.  Note curvature.

Bryan Young

Rub blue grease on internal parts

Then reinstall the gear.  Position the cover so that it is away from the dog to reinstall the dog or reposition it to get the gear back in.  Sometimes the dog doesn't always engage.  I turn the gear sleeve by hand while installing and the dog seems to move into the correct position.

Then swing cover around and install cover screws.

Bryan Young

Reinstall the star.  Grease the handle and install over the gear shaft.  Grease the handle nut and install, then brush grease on handle nut and handle nut retainer screw hole

Tighten handle nut and reinstall handle nut retainer and you are done and test the reel to make sure it works okay, then you are done.

Oh, about the reel, the reel is a easy to service, and filled with stainless steel and brass alloys along with graphite frame and side plates, and brass allow bushing instead of bearings.  This translates to a dependable reel in nasty conditions for line probably up to 30# or so.  Use, wash, and reuse without frequent re-greasing.  You may probably get away with blasting the inside of of both side plates with Corrosion X after ever trip and you should be good to go for another trip, and serviced yearly as most reels.

I hope this helps you as it help me discover that posters of tutorials are awesome.  It's  hard to get all of the details, especially taking pics with greasy hands, then trying to communicate what you are looking at.  All of you do excellent jobs and I need to practice.  Thanks for allowing me to share.

wallacewt

Quote from: BryanYoung on June 15, 2010, 07:32:30 AM
Reinstall the star.  Grease the handle and install over the gear shaft.  Grease the handle nut and install, then brush grease on handle nut and handle nut retainer screw hole

Tighten handle nut and reinstall handle nut retainer and you are done and test the reel to make sure it works okay, then you are done.

Oh, about the reel, the reel is a easy to service, and filled with stainless steel and brass alloys along with graphite frame and side plates, and brass allow bushing instead of bearings.  This translates to a dependable reel in nasty conditions for line probably up to 30# or so.  Use, wash, and reuse without frequent re-greasing.  You may probably get away with blasting the inside of of both side plates with Corrosion X after ever trip and you should be good to go for another trip, and serviced yearly as most reels.

I hope this helps you as it help me discover that posters of tutorials are awesome.  It's  hard to get all of the details, especially taking pics with greasy hands, then trying to communicate what you are looking at.  All of you do excellent jobs and I need to practice.  Thanks for allowing me to share.
good one bryan,not much thread on that handle nut is there

Bryan Young

Wallacewt,

That was before I tightened down on the nut.  Greasy hands, had to decide when to take the pic.  Sorry if it's misleading.

Bryan Young

Mahalos Kamu.  Da bugga is hard work.  Gotta really think, much different than doing.

Great talking with you too.  Did my brother call you?  Can you grease his Penn Spinner drag washers for me?  I believe his already have HT-100s installed.  I was going to ask him to send me his reels, but then he would not have anything to fish with.

alantani

bryan, mahalo.  great post and wonderful work on the reels. 

guys, i bought 20 of these to support a local kid's fishing program.  i matched them up with an inexpensive shimano rod so that the kids will have something decent to fish with. i'm going to try to make it out fishing with this group on thursday.  bryan is scheduled already.  look for lots of photos.  here are the rods and reels.  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BigT

Great post, Bryan. It becomes a bit of an addiction when you spend too much time looking at Alan's work ;D

Cheers, BigT
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

Gaujo

Bryan, great writeup!  I have the CLX-450, and I'm trying to do some pre-maintinence & swap out washers.  Did you ever get any idea what the size of the washers was??
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

Bill B

Bryan, the gift that keeps giving...just used your excellent post to tear down a CL-300L, remarkably similar to your CLX-300L, major difference being a plate in the CL instead of a cover.  Greased down the stock drags, waiting to get the HT-100's, so I could use it next week on the Salton Sea for some tilapia.

Thanks again for the post...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!