Serviced 6 Internationals this week...a few observations

Started by Tightlines667, March 13, 2014, 08:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Nice looking work and a nice touch with the Brownells tool box. ;) What did you decide on doing with the blowout on the reel plate?
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tightlines667

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 23, 2015, 07:34:50 PM
Nice looking work and a nice touch with the Brownells tool box. ;) What did you decide on doing with the blowout on the reel plate?

I left it as you see it in the last pic.  The cam housing was secured to the sideplate with bonding agent, and retainimg screws, and held in place by the bridge.  The bridge covers these hokes as well, and since the gear does not ride on the sideplate direcyly, it is structurally sound and finctions as advertised.  As I said, in the future when/if I encounter excessive electrolusis/corrosion, I may try DEVCON alum putty filler, dyed with a gold anodizing color.  The customer is happy with the results and will be fishing these reels tmrw.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

You are really doing some nice work on the restores John. Lot of pleasure bringing old stuff back to life whether it is reels or rods.

Reel 224

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 23, 2015, 08:27:20 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on March 23, 2015, 07:34:50 PM

I left it as you see it in the last pic.  The cam housing was secured to the sideplate with bonding agent, and retainimg screws, and held in place by the bridge.  The bridge covers these hokes as well, and since the gear does not ride on the sideplate direcyly, it is structurally sound and finctions as advertised.  As I said, in the future when/if I encounter excessive electrolusis/corrosion, I may try DEVCON alum putty filler, dyed with a gold anodizing color.  The customer is happy with the results and will be fishing these reels tmrw.

That's understandable since a lot of repair work such as that, which in the long run is more cosmetic then functional can get quite costly. I do think the owner needs to keep a close eye on the reel for more corrosion in the future though.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

TheReelShop

John what do you mean when you say " I shimmed the drive gear, pinion, and left drag plate too."

Tightlines667

Just that I placed a 0.3mm shim over the pinion bearing, over the tailplate bearing, and under the high speed maingear.
Hope springs eternal

steelfish

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 30, 2014, 05:59:11 AM
........I replaced all Bellevilles from all thin to 2 thin 2 thick with the stock ()() config (customer wanted to fish straight 130lb mono), ........ Any questions, just ask.

John,

I finally opened my 16s and the two benevilles that are near to the pinion have a lot corrosion so, I will change all 4 benevilles and also I will put a new pinion bearing too cuz it has bit of corrosion and feels rough (strangly I didnt felt any binding when the reel was a 15# drag strike) well anyway, I already ordered few different benevilles from the 16s, 16vs and 16vsx, new spring for the drag plate and the pinion bearing, my question is.

is there any particular order to arrange or play with the benevilles? like that way you did, two thick and two thin ()(), or as Alan Tani did (()) and added another stock beneville to have (())), can I go like this (()) with two thicks in the middel and two thins outside and a Shim if needed or backwards, I dont know if there are two or three basic arragments that you try that I might for them first instead of trying to invent the wheel

thanks in advance
The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

I always start with stock size arranged stock, and measure the original stack height and compare to the new height.  You can progressively try stiffer arrangements like replacing 2 light with 2 heavy, then with 4 heavy, then try all light (((), then with last 2 heavy, then maybe (()).  It all depends on the what the tolerances for total stack height are for your reel.. which I do not know.  So you just have to try different arrangements.  If stock arrangement, and thin washers give you the drag curve, and operation you want just stick with those.  If you are having trouble with freespool you might need to reduce stack height by changing the arrangement, or you may need to increase height by adding washers or shims.  Different #s arrangements, and types along with shims will change the overall function and drag curve., but you need to stay within tolerances or the reel will not function properly.  Just play around a bit.

John
Hope springs eternal

steelfish

thanks, I will update when I install the parts and do some tests

The Baja Guy

fishhead69

Great job! it looks like you turned a sow's ear into a silk pouch. Now you have 6 reely nice Penn Internationals that are ready to go back to work.