Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

A tank should be a 50-60lb test bait reel. On the lighter rods it is way over kill, keep that for sails, marlin, larger tuna on bait, mean mossbacks and big AJ's over structur.

MarkT

Neither are capable of pulling the plug from the bottom of the ocean with a total tank.

That G6480 when acid wrapped is very stable under load.  I think the biggest things I've caught on it were 40# Humbolt squid a few years ago.  It worked very well when they were zig-zagging around.  I let some newbies catch a few with it too.  They had a hoot even with the 8' rod.

A 45# YT is the biggest on G6470.

They both started as factory rods but I turned 'em over to my brah, J.AkuHed, for some acid lovin'.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Here is the Seeker Promo 6470 Captain Grabowski handed me when I won the 5 Star processing certificate and was going to give it away to another person on the trip, I usually process my own fish.  This is a very good rod and sometime in the future it will be spiral wrapped.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

I'll bring rod and reel to Alan for the trip.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

SoCalAngler

Keta,

That looks like a Seeker American series rod because of the red white and blue wraps with honey blank. If it is its a all glass rod that has not been made in some time and also looks custom wrapped, maybe for John as promo stuff. Before re wrapping it I'd do a little research on it you may have a collectable there.

Keta

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 23, 2014, 04:29:57 PM
Keta,

That looks like a Seeker American series rod because of the red white and blue wraps with honey blank. If it is its a all glass rod that has not been made in some time and also looks custom wrapped, maybe for John as promo stuff. Before re wrapping it I'd do a little research on it you may have a collectable there.

Thanks for the "warning" it does have "promo" on the other side.  I will save it as is, it also has personal value because it reminds me of a fun trip with a good crew and a GREAT captain. I think I landed the wahoo I dropped off at Charkbait on it too. I have 2 Black Steel 6465H rods I can rewrap and use for 40lb.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

I'm geared up to go  ;D ;D ;D Well almost ... I have a Penn Baja Special spooled with 40# mono and really no rod for it  ??? I'm not sure what to get. I've looked at the Phenix Abyss 20-50...Seeker Pinhead ... Black Steel 8' Ct 40#, ect... I may go used ? or new depending on my last minute $$$ prior to our trip. Suggestions/Recommendations ?

Tim

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Big Tim on May 24, 2014, 12:00:19 AM
I'm geared up to go  ;D ;D ;D Well almost ... I have a Penn Baja Special spooled with 40# mono and really no rod for it  ??? I'm not sure what to get. I've looked at the Phoenix Abyss 20-50...Seeker Pinhead ... Black Steel 8' Ct 40#, ect... I may go used ? or new depending on my last minute $$$ prior to our trip. Suggestions/Recommendations ?

Tim

Also Calstar 670, (20-50#) [I ended up buying a 610 - 25-60# so I only have to change my topshot/leader]. What do you like? - looks like you are leaning towards 8+ ft, fiberglass?? Calstar also has deckhand series in glass, graphite and hybrid.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Big Tim

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on May 24, 2014, 01:09:22 AM
Quote from: Big Tim on May 24, 2014, 12:00:19 AM
I'm geared up to go  ;D ;D ;D Well almost ... I have a Penn Baja Special spooled with 40# mono and really no rod for it  ??? I'm not sure what to get. I've looked at the Phoenix Abyss 20-50...Seeker Pinhead ... Black Steel 8' Ct 40#, ect... I may go used ? or new depending on my last minute $$$ prior to our trip. Suggestions/Recommendations ?

Tim

Also Calstar 670, (20-50#) [I ended up buying a 610 - 25-60# so I only have to change my topshot/leader]. What do you like? - looks like you are leaning towards 8+ ft, fiberglass?? Calstar also has deckhand series in glass, graphite and hybrid.

Mounted it on a Phenix today...Freakin' nice ;D I have 3 Black Steel rods ... 6'5' & 7', 30/40/50, so you're right, 8' glass seems like allot of fun.

Ron Jones

I just offered what I thought would be a rejected first offer on two Sabre rods. One is a number#51766C & the other is a # 1765. Low and behold he accepted the offer and I will be bringing them along. One will have a fully upgraded Newell YTS loaded with 80 and the other will be my primary 40 pound rod for the trip with Bryan's Pacifica on it. I'm a happy lad right now.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Big Tim

Quote from: noyb72 on May 24, 2014, 06:48:59 AM
I just offered what I thought would be a rejected first offer on two Sabre rods. One is a number#51766C & the other is a # 1765. Low and behold he accepted the offer and I will be bringing them along. One will have a fully upgraded Newell YTS loaded with 80 and the other will be my primary 40 pound rod for the trip with Bryan's Pacifica on it. I'm a happy lad right now.
Ron

Way to go Ron...You know what they say "Throw a shovel full against the wall and see what sticks". Got an early Fathers day present...An addition to my sleeper reel.

112H With SS gear sleeve, Bryans drag stack, SS dog,Jigmaster power handle, 5:1 gears & my son added an Accurate frame. Not sure what the max drag can be ? But I pulled 18# straight off the reel...Mel is bringing me a drag star. Let's go fishin'

Ron Jones

Nice!!
18#s is as much drag as anyone would need with that reel, great deal there.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

I just got back from a 2.5 dayer aboard the Pac Voyager at 9am today.  I got 2 10# YT, a 20# YFT, a 20# BFT and a 60#+ BFT.  I gave away the YT and a bag of BFT... I should've given away more! Most of the rest will go to work with me tomorrow to be given away.  When the big boys were around we were told to use nothing less than 40# on a 2-speed... so I did!  My biggest BFT came on a 'dine cherry picked by a DH. I told him it worked out and he said he'd noticed. We would have done much better with better bait. We had Mackeral, a few Sardines, some small Anchovies and some Squid left over from the prior trip that they'd made at San Martin.   With a tank of 'dines we'd have slayed them.  Tuna were caught 165-190 miles south.  YT were off paddies.  Plan accordingly!

The long range boats in SD get the cured 'dines.  The others get whatever is available. Hopefully, we'll get the good stuff!

Keta

I have reconsidered what I'm bringing and now will upgrade everything and drop the calico bass rig and replace it with a Avet JX or HX on a 40# rod.  I really was looking forward to targeting YT but BFT will make me happy.

Mark Twain

MarkT

The last couple of days it's been rough offshore and the counts are rat Yellowtails and not vast quantities of them.  It should pick back up in the next couple weeks or else we'll be fishing with 15-20# and getting most of the fish on the troll.