Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

On a more serious note...Does the SOA have in rail rod holders or do they troll with a sling? Not sure i want to damage my vintage Harnell trolling rod butt

Porthos

Quote from: Big Tim on May 01, 2014, 12:50:28 AM
On a more serious note...Does the SOA have in rail rod holders or do they troll with a sling? Not sure i want to damage my vintage Harnell trolling rod butt

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8648.0

Rail rod holders...1/2 way down the post; look for guy with orange shirt...

Keta

Here's Alan's photo of the stern.    Put some shrink tube or wrap the butt with tennis racket tape like the rod in the second photo.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

The SOA has solid rails so no slings can be used.

Aiala

I knew there was something else I'd forgotten... squid jigs! (Just ordered five glow-in-the-dark ones on eBay)   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

bluefish69

Our guys in N Y use the cloth covered Squid Jigs. They rub Smelly Jelly on them. They say it attracts Squid to the jig.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Aiala

Quote from: bluefish69 on May 02, 2014, 11:03:40 PM
Our guys in N Y use the cloth covered Squid Jigs.

Yeah, I saw those... but since I've had good luck with the plastic ones, I stuck with them. Besides, I don't much like the sound of "Smelly Jelly"... gross!  :-X

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

bluefish69

Big Tim

I was given an AFTCO Alijos fighting belt as a gift, but it fits a bit uncomfortably(hits me in the wrong spot) ;D :o :o ... It is a weight issue...I have lost quite a bit of weight but have a ton to go. Do I really need a large belt for a trip like this?

Tim

Keta

The likelihood of running into cow YFT is slim, I'm leaving my belt and plate at home.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on May 04, 2014, 01:46:57 AM
The likelihood of running into cow YFT is slim, I'm leaving my belt and plate at home.
That comment reminds me of General Custer's quote "there ain't no Indians around here."   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Big Tim

Quote from: Dominick on May 04, 2014, 02:12:04 AM
That comment reminds me of General Custer's quote "there ain't no Indians around here."   :D ;D Dominick

Okie Dokie...I guess my belt is good

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on May 04, 2014, 02:12:04 AMThat comment reminds me of General Custer's quote "there ain't no Indians around here."   :D ;D Dominick

I will have my "gatling gun" with me.

Mark Twain

bluefish69

Just bring Water Skies

Mike

Keta

We have exceptional albacore fishing off of the Oregon coast and I fish for them all season.  I'm not all that interested in targeting them on this trip but it would be real nice to find the BFT.

https://www.976-tuna.com/news.php?extend.134607

Mark Twain