Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i'm leaving the belts at home.  i know i've been saying "don't buy anymore gear," but i am going to have a rod built by john vadney just for this trip.  i thought of a phenix 760, but i may go with an 838.  i have one penn torque that is lonely.  thinking of an acid wrap.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on May 04, 2014, 05:09:49 AM
thinking of an acid wrap.   ;D

I'm slowly converting my non roller rods to spiral wrap, even my kokanee/trout rods.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

Reports on early Bluefin  :o Not so sure I ever got one of those when i was a kid in San Diego? But my 112H can do this  ;D

I hope one of these reels can catch a Bluefin  ;D ;D ;D one more rod and a couple of cosmetics on my sons reel & I'm done

Time to contemplate: Fresh corn & bean salad over BBQ Carne Asada W/Salsa and Guacamole  ;D ;D ;D & a beer of coarse...Cheers Mates!

broadway

I'm not sure when I was ever more excited to hear about a trip that I'm not even going on. 
Hope you guys nail them silly!
Lee, not to sound like the misses, but maybe the belt would be good to relieve a little pressure off that hand. :-\
Have a great trip, crew!
Dom

Big Tim

OK...I finished servicing the rest of my reels and added line where needed. I watched one of Alan's videos and he was using what looked like a short Fluoro leader on braid ? I have a longer mono top shot and plan to go short Fluorocarbon leader to my hook. Anything wrong with this ? Or maybe I'm just so freaking ready to go that I'm over thinking ? The 3 on top are all mono.

Tim

Porthos

Quote from: Big Tim on May 18, 2014, 11:50:14 PM
OK...I finished servicing the rest of my reels and added line where needed. I watched one of Alan's videos and he was using what looked like a short Fluoro leader on braid ? I have a longer mono top shot and plan to go short Fluorocarbon leader to my hook. Anything wrong with this ? Or maybe I'm just so freaking ready to go that I'm over thinking ? The 3 on top are all mono.

Tim

As long as you have confidence in your mono to fluoro knot, nothing wrong.

Big Tim

I hear you...I've learned several knots but it seems that the double uni and Palomar are as consistent as any on a scale?? I will for sure find out soon  ;D ;D ;D

MarkT

Mono to fluoro?  Double surgeon has never let me down. Lower profile than a Seaguar.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

somebody bringing tools?

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: ML B on May 19, 2014, 07:20:44 PM
somebody bringing tools?

Chainsaw, pipe wrench, duct tape and crow bar.  What else would you need? ::) ;D

Seriously Mel, I'm bringing a small reel & rod fixit kit with some parts. I don't plan to use it unless everything I'm bringing breaks. :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

somebody bringing tools?

nope!  i expect everyone's gear to be in top shape!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Does anyone on the SOA want to fish with the original tank?  If so I'll put it on a rod and send it down with Alan.  He should have room for one more rod and reel.  Just let me know.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Big Tim

Quote from: Dominick on May 20, 2014, 12:25:12 AM
Does anyone on the SOA want to fish with the original tank?  If so I'll put it on a rod and send it down with Alan.  He should have room for one more rod and reel.  Just let me know.  Dominick

Is it rookie certified ? I would fish that thing  ;D ;D ;D

Big Tim

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on May 19, 2014, 08:13:27 PM
somebody bringing tools?

Chainsaw, pipe wrench, duct tape and crow bar.  What else would you need? ::) ;D

Seriously Mel, I'm bringing a small reel & rod fixit kit with some parts. I don't plan to use it unless everything I'm bringing breaks. :-\

And I got the mechanics wire!!

Big Tim

On a serious note. Does anybody know a Fresno area guy that does rod building/repair ? I want to shorten mt custom rod a few inches but the #'s I got don't answer their phones.

Tim